Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare

3 posters

Go down

My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare Empty My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare

Post by EMeyeseaE Sun 29 Aug 2021, 12:10 pm

My little red-eyed mouse squints quite a bit and then looks like she is moving in slow-mo.
I read on a rat forum that some anxious rats display this behaviour sometimes.

Just wondered if this is usual in fancy mice and if she might be anxious or it might have something to do with her red eyes?
She does seem to be more sensitive to the light than the other mice.

She is one of 6 girls we have.

EMeyeseaE

Back to top Go down

My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare Empty Re: My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare

Post by River Sun 29 Aug 2021, 5:07 pm

Mice with red eyes have increased light sensitivity which worsens their (already terrible) vision; this scanning behavior is to compensate. Squinting is a sign of irritation or stress in mice but I’m not getting that from this video.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

SarahAdams and EMeyeseaE like this post

Back to top Go down

My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare Empty Re: My little red-eyed mouse does an unusual stop and stare

Post by SarahAdams Thu 02 Sep 2021, 10:10 am

Agree with River. My red-eyed mice do the same thing, especially in their giant playpen when I'm calling them to come out.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

EMeyeseaE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EMeyeseaE Thu 09 Sep 2021, 9:22 am

Thank you!
Glad it's normal.

The squinting:
Yep she isn't squinting here and it seems to have stopped now. Was more when we first got our second 3 girls who joined our first 3 girls.
Was just trying to cover both concerns in one post. Smile Smile

EMeyeseaE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down