Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

how to make sure all mice are eating enough?

4 posters

Go down

how to make sure all mice are eating enough? Empty how to make sure all mice are eating enough?

Post by islao1234 Wed 08 Sep 2021, 7:46 pm

i am getting a group of 5 female mice and i have the tank set up and ready, but i was wondering how i would make sure that each mouse is getting enough/too much food when i feed them as i don’t know how much they are individually eating. any advice would be appreciated thanks

islao1234
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

how to make sure all mice are eating enough? Empty Re: how to make sure all mice are eating enough?

Post by cerial Thu 09 Sep 2021, 1:32 am

8 mice I would guesd you would have a 55 gallon or a 20 gallon long tank.
Place 2 waters on the end of the tank then the food in the center.

This will avoid territorial issues with the food.

Your going to throw away alot of food. Right after you clean the tank and wash everything including the food dish dont be surprised if you find a pound or two hidden away. Throw it out as it is probally covered at that point.

Just change the waters daily and check on the food topping it off.
My 20+ mice only eat around a cereal bowl of food a day and the food is mixed so they throw most of it out of the wire mesh food dish looking for the treats I mix in.

Having a mix is important. Some mice love some things and others like other things. Read up on what not to feed your mice before buying food. Also know that some food needs to be kept sealed before giving it to the mice or it may go bad.

If you feel one is not eating then give them treats when you clean the cage. It avoids the territorial issues with them being in a new area.

cerial

Back to top Go down

how to make sure all mice are eating enough? Empty Re: how to make sure all mice are eating enough?

Post by Crabby Thu 09 Sep 2021, 5:08 am

As long as your mice have no genetic defect that causes them to eat more then they need, they will always eat as much as they need and not more or less. But this is only true, if you are using the right food. Bad food will make every mouse fat. Never feed them fruits every day, not even dried ones. Don't feed them nuts, they are too fat and some are even toxic to mice. Peanuts are legumes and can be fed, but not daily, because they are fat too. Don't feed them poppy seeds, they are causing digestive problems in large amounts.

You can mix the food yourself, but there are some problems with this: The mice are selecting the food components they like. This can be high caloric, sweet or fatty components, which are leading to health problems. If you are using only natural unprocessed food components for example seeds that are not fortified with minerals and vitamins, your mice will lack vitamin b12, vitamin D, essential fatty acids. You can use dried or live insects, but if they where raised in a factory or a room, they will lack vitamin D, if their food was not fortified with it.
Live insects can transmit parasites like worms and cocidosis. Mice don’t need to be fed with animal protein, in Europe it is forbidden to feed pigs, chickens, cows and lab animals with animal protein since the early 2000s and all animal food for farm animals here is only plant protein based. Only food for carnivores like dogs, cats and fish is based on animal protein. My own lab blocks are vegan ones. The amino acids of animal protein are produced with bacteria in a lab and added to the food.

The best way to feed mice is using lab blocks, or you are mixing your own food mix with some of them. They are providing enough fiber to secure the digestive health of your mice.

I would recommend to make lab blocks your basic diet and give the mice 2 days in a week some variety with a commercial mice food from the pet store or your own mix.
You can give them every day little treats like finger tip size pieces of toasted bread.

Crabby

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 09 Sep 2021, 2:38 pm

It's also handy to have a scale to weigh your mousies, so you can monitor them for weight loss or weight gain. It won't tell you how healthy they are eating -- for example, if one of them is maintaining a good weight but only picks out all of one or two things from the food mix to eat all the time -- but it does provide you with a useful record to refer to.

There is a pocket electronic scale sold through American Science & Surplus online, and it is currently on sale for $14.95 (normally $19.95). It weighs up to 300 grams or 10.5 ounces.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down