Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse eating like crazy..?!

5 posters

Go down

Mouse eating like crazy..?! Empty Mouse eating like crazy..?!

Post by prips Wed 15 Aug 2018, 2:56 pm

Hey everyone,

got back from vacation recently and noticed my mouse Poppy had what looked like blood on her eye (or was it that red secretion when they're stressed? I cannot tell the difference).

Brought Poppy to the vet and turns out her eye ad popped out of the socket somehow! Shocked I was away and my friend who was sitting them doesn't know what happened either.

Anyway, the good news is that the eye is not infected, and I'm treating her for prevention.

What's weird is, ever since this episode, Poppy started eating like crazyyy and won't stop scratching herself as she eats. She also kinda lifts her head up sometimes too. Strangely, she's also more friendly now.

Could she be simply anxious or irritated about her eye?

prips
prips

Sagittarius Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Mouse eating like crazy..?! Empty Re: Mouse eating like crazy..?!

Post by AmyLynn Wed 15 Aug 2018, 4:31 pm

Hello there!

You mouse eating more makes perfect sense. Mice and humans are similar in many ways. This includes how antibiotic effect your gut bacteria. This change in the gut can increase anxiety. Scientist found this out by doing studies on mice first. So you little Poppy may be extra anxious not just over what happened but because of the antibiotics. So the eating could be a stress response and/or your mouse trying to eat to correct the gut bacteria.

While your Poppy is on antibiotics you can try increasing the probiotics in the diet. They do sell thing like thing for mice that have some in it. Examples includes:

Brown's Tropical Carnival Hoops & Honey Treat and Higgins Sunburst Rat/Mouse Food...but there are likely many others. Careful, I would have though some of those yogurt drops would have been great fo this but most I looks at where not. Most of the yogurt drops do not have any probiotics , just empty calories Shocked So look around and see what works for you and your mouse.

I would also do thing to reduce stress for poor Poppy. Make sure there are plenty of thing to keep your mouse busy like small toys...You can check out the DIY Toy
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/f21-mouse-diys
Also, just spending time with your mouse will help too. Love is always good medicine Heart

Resource & for further reading if you like that science stuff:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41385-018-0042-3
https://www.curejoy.com/content/are-antibiotics-making-you-anxious-or-depressed/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3263396/
http://fortune.com/2018/01/31/researchers-discover-anxiety-cells-brains-mice/

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by prips Mon 20 Aug 2018, 2:08 pm

AmyLynn, thank you for all the valuable information!

An update about Poopy - this morning she was bleeding very bad.. I took her to the vet immediately. Turns out she has a tumor on her side of the face & tongue.. It developed wayy too fast, like, she was doing fine just last week. Her eye is recovering super well, she's eating and seems active. But what we thought was a scab, was actually a tumor (and the vet didn't recognize that a week ago, apparently....??)

What should I do?? Is there any hope? The vet says surgery, even if successful, would maybe buy her 1 month or so.
I just lost a mouse last week.. Crying or Very sad
prips
prips

Sagittarius Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Mon 20 Aug 2018, 5:02 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this right after losing your other girl. Sad It's very hard. But unfortunately, rodents (especially the girls) tend to be prone to tumors. If it's any consolation, I don't think it's anything to do with you, I think your girls are just getting older.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizardian Mon 20 Aug 2018, 8:46 pm

I'm sorry you're going through this Sad It's understandable that the vet missed the tumor, especially if it looked completely different a week ago and they were more concerned that the eye was a major concern.

Unfortunately, a tumor on the mouth/face area isn't a very good location. When it comes to deciding whether to do surgery you have to think of both your mouse and you. If you put her through surgery and recovery time for only an extra month or two, is it worth it? And of course there's the surgery cost you have to take into consideration.

Sometimes however, estimates can be wrong, and although rarely, an animal can live months past what is expected. It is up to you - you know your situation best and it is up to you to decide what is best for your mouse. Most pet owners have been through a similar situation so whatever you decide no one can criticize you for it - in this kind of decision there is no wrong or right.

Hope this helps to alleviate some things.

Aries

Back to top Go down

Post by prips Tue 21 Aug 2018, 12:20 pm

Thank you for all the support, friends. This forum really provides a lot of great information! Very Happy

Poopy seems to be doing better now! I was so scared going home... but I was SO relieved when I found she was okay! The bleeding stopped, she is eating, active and watched a movie with us last night Love She always comes running when she sees me and climbs on my hand right away, so sweet. The vet advised against surgery because of her age. I believe as long as she is acting her happy self, I'll just let her be Smile
prips
prips

Sagittarius Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 21 Aug 2018, 12:57 pm

I’m so sorry to hear the news. Tumors suck! And unfortunately mice are very prone to them. Sad

Many times with mice and tumors all we can do is keep them as comfortable and happy as we can for whatever time they have left. Continue to spoil her. If she seems to be in any pain talk to your vet about prescribing pain medication. Group Hug

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Fri 24 Aug 2018, 4:54 pm

I am sorry to hear about the tumor but glade that she is doing ok given the situation. Sometime we just have to enjoy the time we have with them.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down