Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When/if to release wild mice

3 posters

Go down

When/if to release wild mice  Empty When/if to release wild mice

Post by decan71 Tue 21 Sep 2021, 8:28 am

I had flooding to my basement and my house shifted on its foundation. Still trying to find where they are getting in but I get a variety of mice and voles come August. That's when the weather in my area starts getting cold and sometimes stormy. I have about five to release but haven't been able to do to storms and really back weather so I've had them about a month no. I was thinking of keeping them over winter and releasing them next summer but then I got several  more this morning in humane traps. I think I will have to release them all. I hate to do it but I'm getting overrun and there may be more. I've had to keep mice over winter on more than one occasion when they came into the house at -51F. Thing is, there's a meadow and water and a really good place to release them, however, the temp is around 22F at night and about 60 in the day. Also, I read in wild mouse care that males are territorial and will kill other males so if I have males and I release them in an unknown environment, do they have to contend with other males trying to kill them. How did they survive in my backyard before they got into my house? My main concern is that it's too cold to release them. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

decan71

Back to top Go down

When/if to release wild mice  Empty Re: When/if to release wild mice

Post by Dee67 Wed 22 Sep 2021, 3:00 pm

You can release them anytime, the sooner the better. Wild mice are extremely Hardy and need to live in the wild to be happy unless raised from pups. If you're worried about the temperature I usually release mine, one at a time so they don't fight, to a protected area, with a small wooden box with some bedding in it and 2 escape holes. You can put some food for them as well, just a bit, and they will likely move on very soon.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Wed 22 Sep 2021, 7:15 pm

Release them in the morning 9 or 10am. The grass is dry and this gives them the entite day to find a place to sleep for the night.

cerial

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down