Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much to feed mice?

4 posters

Go down

How much to feed mice? Empty How much to feed mice?

Post by MouseBBs Sun 10 Oct 2021, 11:36 pm

Hi everyone, my first time posting!

I have 3 female mice. I was wondering how much you are supposed to feed them everyday. I have been doing 1 tablespoon of seed mix (combination of pet store mix and mix I made myself). And I put in 3 block pellets. I give this everyday but I'm unsure if this is too little? How many teaspoons or tablespoons of food is actually correct? And how many block pellets should I give everyday?

I appreciate all of your advice. Thank you!

MouseBBs

Back to top Go down

How much to feed mice? Empty Re: How much to feed mice?

Post by Kirinsara Mon 11 Oct 2021, 1:34 pm

As far as I know, a tablespoon per mouse per day is a standard I see repeated everywhere, so if you are following it, you are on a right track. I think the recommendation is that mice always have dry food available, so with seed mix/pellets it should be okay to put more out. With Derek I do so that I sprinkle one tablespoon of seed mix in the bedding for him to forage and put another tablespoon in his food bowl. With multiple mice I think you can have a plenty out in the food bowl just in case.

For the pellets, I think it depends on the size of the pellet/on the diet plan you have for your mice? I use a mix with pellets and seeds already added, so I don't need to ponder over the rations. Maybe you could put out a tablespoon of both for each of the mice?

Hopefully the experienced forum uses have their two cents on this, I'm also just learning about mouse owning Smile
Kirinsara
Kirinsara

Dee67 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee67 Mon 11 Oct 2021, 10:02 pm

Keep a bowl with lots of pellets/blocks in their cage 24/7. They will likely hide a lot of it and you will discover it when you clean their cage, you can leave it behind or remove it. Keep topping up the bowl when you see it empty. I do the same thing with my seed/grain mix, they help themselves, hide it etc., and I just toss whatever is left after a week. For fresh food I use about 1 tbsp a day and remove any left after 24 hours.

Dee67
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/figgusnewton/

Back to top Go down

Post by Buggirl13 Tue 12 Oct 2021, 8:48 am

From what I've heard, it is more enriching for mice to scatter their food around the cage, and pellet food isn't very enriching to them, seed mix is better. I personally use a mix of both, I know the pellet food contains everything my mice need, and the seed mix is interesting for them.

Love Persephone
RAINBOW BRIDGE
Neutral Veda
Bouncy  Paris 
Heart Eyes  Hester 
Cookie Megan
Twisted Greta
Buggirl13
Buggirl13
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down