Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opinions on new setup idea please

2 posters

Go down

Opinions on new setup idea please  Empty Opinions on new setup idea please

Post by Salvsop27 Fri 03 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

Ok, so I have this idea to get an ikea detolf for my mice. I only have two, so I want to get more friends for them. But I was thinking that I could split the cage into two parts, one with roughly 2/3 of the space and one with roughly 1/3. I wold put my girls on one side and a boy on the other. I really want a male mouse, and I feel like it would be nice to keep the male in the same cage (but divided) for convenience reason. However I’m worried that this would make the male hormonal because he could smell the females. Does anyone know if this would happen? Any other advice abt my setup is welcome as well.

Btw this is not a 100 percent plan, I’ve just begun thinking about it, and I’m yet to get my parents on board.

Salvsop27
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Opinions on new setup idea please  Empty Re: Opinions on new setup idea please

Post by cerial Sat 04 Dec 2021, 11:12 pm

Before considering a male you should consider the cost of having him neutered or buying/adopting one that has been neutered.

This will let you place him in one big tank with your girls letting them all have more running room.

If you get a new male you will need to seperate him until he is old enough to be neutered. That date is something to ask a vet making a appoinment of course.

Mice are great escape artist so if your going to use a barrier then a mesh tank lid is recommended. The area around the mesh can be chewed so having a few inches of metal flashing overlap will prevent chewing around the barrier Having a tight fit  around the barrier while also making sure cleaning the tank is easy is something to think about.

If you can find a male already neutered that may be better then any barrier setup for all your mice. Otherwise I would simply use two tanks until he can be neutered.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Post by Salvsop27 Sat 04 Dec 2021, 11:30 pm

I would love to get a male and neuter him, but unfortunately where I live there are no vets comfortable with doing it. I would like to find one up for adoption that is neutered, but I haven’t seen one yet, and I don’t think I will anytime soon. Neutered mice are very uncommon here.

Salvsop27
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down