Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse died, one cage mate in distress

3 posters

Go down

Mouse died, one cage mate in distress Empty Mouse died, one cage mate in distress

Post by Misty Sat 29 Jan 2022, 4:57 pm

One of my cages had 4 females, but one suddenly took a turn for the worse and died within a couple of days. She had a favourite friend and they spent most of their time sat around cuddling and grooming each other. The poor mouse left behind cried and cried when she died, it was the most heartbreaking sound. Now I don't know how to help her. She isn't interacting with the other two, just sits alone rubbing her whiskers again and again, most often in the spot where her friend died. Often she just sits there squeaking and Chittering. She is eating and drinking but has lost weight. I'm worried she will die too if she doesn't pull out of it. When I take her out of the cage she is nimble and quick, but her only goal is to get away. She doesn't appear sick except for weight loss.
Do I get her a new young cage mate and try to bond them maybe? How do I help her? Should I be worried that she is sick too?

Misty

Back to top Go down

Mouse died, one cage mate in distress Empty Re: Mouse died, one cage mate in distress

Post by Misty Mon 31 Jan 2022, 1:39 am

I'm taking her to the vet. I'm sorry no one here knows how to help

Misty

Back to top Go down

Mouse died, one cage mate in distress Empty Re: Mouse died, one cage mate in distress

Post by islao1234 Tue 08 Feb 2022, 3:59 pm

Misty wrote:I'm taking her to the vet. I'm sorry no one here knows how to help

this is a bit late only just seen this but how did the vet go? that definitely sounded like a sick mouse

islao1234
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Misty Tue 08 Feb 2022, 4:40 pm

The vet gave me some antibiotics and I've had her in isolation from the others. She's putting weight back on now and everything seems to be coming along, breathing normally and coat is starting to shine again.
On Friday she can go back in with her mousey friends  Mouse died, one cage mate in distress 1f497

Misty

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 09 Feb 2022, 1:40 pm

I’m sorry for your loss, but happy to hear your girl is on her way to better health! Squeaking and chittering/clicking are tell tale signs of respiratory infections, so the vet and antibiotics were exactly what I would’ve recommended.

Unfortunately the forum has lost a lot of its active members as they’ve either gotten out of mouse keeping or moved on to other platforms like Facebook.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Misty Mon 14 Feb 2022, 7:51 pm

Thanks for your reply Peachy.

My little mouse is much happier now, she's put weight back on and is out of quarantine. Back running on the wheel and chewing up the toys and stuff I put in there for them. Smile

Misty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down