Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate?

3 posters

Go down

How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate? Empty How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate?

Post by my_little_mice Mon 18 Oct 2021, 7:12 pm

Hi all. My youngest mouse has started overgrooming/barbering my older mouse. I've dealt with this in the past with previous mice, but it was never this bad. My older mouse has a red spot (maybe even a scab, but it's hard to tell) on the top of her head where her cagemate has been grooming her. I'm not sure if the youngest one is just biting her skin there or ripping out her hair. This has been going on for a couple days and it's getting a little bigger each day.

About a month ago, I moved the ladies from a 640 sq in barred cage to a 50 gallon bin cage. Their cage has a ton of toys, a big wheel, and lots of bedding. They seem to really like it. My youngest used to chew the bars of the old cage (hence why I changed to a new one), but now instead of bar chewing, she's barbering her cagemate.

I am talking to some friends for advice on this, but I wanted to ask on here too! Is there any way to stop this? I added even more toys to their cage to try to keep the youngest one entertained. I might also get them another cage mate or two, but there aren't any adoptable mice near me within a 3 hour distance and I'd rather not support a pet store.

Also, I am 99% sure it's not mites bc I have seen the younger one grooming her in that spot, but I do have some spray from a previous vet visit just in case.

my_little_mice

Back to top Go down

How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate? Empty Re: How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate?

Post by cerial Mon 18 Oct 2021, 9:14 pm

Mice need to chew.

Go outside and find a stick. Submerge it in very hot water(carefully) for a few minutes. Then dry it off letting it cool for a few minutes.

They will chew (and pee) all over it. Then after a week you simply throw it away.

cerial

Back to top Go down

How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate? Empty Re: How to stop mouse from overgrooming cage mate?

Post by SarahAdams Tue 19 Oct 2021, 6:01 pm

Two can be a bad number for many pets. If one is being targeted, there is no other distraction to spread around the attention and/or aggression. Not saying that is the only reason for your problem or that you can add another mouse, but odd numbers like 3 or 5 are usually better.

You might try removing the younger mouse for a few days, leaving the older one in the enclosure so it will be more "her" place, filled with her scent, then try adding the offender again. I have no idea if this work, but it's worth a try.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by my_little_mice Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:24 pm

@SarahAdams I am going to hopefully get a new mouse or two tomorrow, actually. So hopefully after quarantining them and doing intros, it will help the other two with the overgrooming problem. Fingers crossed!

my_little_mice

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by my_little_mice Tue 19 Oct 2021, 8:25 pm

@cerial They have a ton of sticks and chew toys in their cage, so lack of chew stuff isn't a problem!

my_little_mice

SarahAdams likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down