Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bedding and introducing females

3 posters

Go down

bedding and introducing females Empty bedding and introducing females

Post by scooter :D Tue 19 Apr 2022, 3:51 pm

i havent seen much info out their abt introducing mice but what i have seen is that you want a neutral area for them, so does this include their cage as well? i know your not supposed to take out all the bedding and leave no sent of them bc that can stress them out but is that different for intros?? just wondering for the future. Love Confused
scooter :D
scooter :D
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sluggish

Back to top Go down

bedding and introducing females Empty Re: bedding and introducing females

Post by animalgirl555 Tue 18 Oct 2022, 6:46 pm

I personally haven't had to introduce any mice yet, but I too have heard that you should remove all the bedding to remove the mice's scent because mice might get territorial and begin to fight with the other mice/mouse Ear wiggle
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Sun 23 Oct 2022, 4:03 pm

The mice need to smell each other. I use a tank and either put the tank above the cage or inside another tank.

I just introduced 2 males and 6 female "feeder" mice to my 3 female fancy, 3 male deer, and 6 female deer.

I had the 8 "feeders" in a 5 gallon inside a 55 gallon for 5 days. I used a grill with 1/4" mesh that they can stick there noses through but not bite. I put lots of treats(sliced almonds) on top of the 5 gallon and they were able to smell each other.

After 5 days I cleaned the tank letting the feeders explore the 55 gallon for 6 hours while the rest of the mice ere stuck in my 130 gallon side. Then I opened the division and watched them.

With a clean tank everything has been moved around and everythings new so there is alot of running around for a day.

I did have a issue with a dominant fancy. She would still attack, chase and most importantly stalk the new mice. Stalking is something that is extremely hard to stop. If it was with one mouse sometimes that will end up ok. But this was with multible mice and did not matter the area. After seperating her from the group overnight she was allowed back in and was soon stalking again. I ended up placing her with my male deer who is afraid of everything(he gets agressive because he is scared) in a 10 gallon. The two of them have been good living with other and the rest of the group has accepted the feeders without a issue once the agressive fancy was removed.

Usually the tank inside a tank thing works. But not always. Some mice are just agressive. The fancy that I had to seperate was always agressive to the deers. But they are so fast its not a issue. The other fancys were submissive and they generally got along. But her stalking, butt pulling, and she even tumbled a few times(very bad as she was going for the neck). I had to separate her.

The rest of the mice are happy without her and despite her being mad at me currently she will eventually get use to her situation.

cerial

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down