Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing Neutered Male to Females

3 posters

Go down

Introducing Neutered Male to Females Empty Introducing Neutered Male to Females

Post by vothala Mon 01 Jun 2020, 6:06 pm

Hello! I have had a group of four females for a little while now but recently I adopted a little male from a rodent rescue near me. They neuter a lot of their lone boy mice and the one I adopted is no exception. I am no stranger to introducing mice I had to do it with each of my current girls but I have never introduced a boy to a an already established group of females. I am well aware that male mice cannot live together but to my understanding neutered male mice do great with females. I wanted to make sure all the information I have is correct before I went ahead and tried it just so nobody gets hurt. I use the carrier method when introducing and I would like to know if there are any other methods that might work a little better in this circumstance. If any of you guys have any tips/suggestions or just information for me I would appreciate it a lot!
vothala
vothala

Cancer Zen

Back to top Go down

Introducing Neutered Male to Females Empty Re: Introducing Neutered Male to Females

Post by vothala Thu 04 Jun 2020, 2:53 pm

No one replied to me because I'm sure this is a very rare thing in the mouse community to have a neutered mouse. I wanted to update this so that in the future anybody looking for answers about this has at least something. I went ahead with the carrier method for introductions. It was a bit shaky at first since the girls didn't really know what to make of him. We started off in a critter trail that I use as a carrier with nothing except food and water after introducing them on a neutral surface. Then when there was evidence of them getting along we moved to a 10 gallon tank. We were in the 10 gallon tank for the longest because the girls weren't letting my boy sleep with them. Finally when they started to relent and seemed comfortable around each other we moved to a 20 gallon tank. They were in this for about two days and seemed to be very happy with each other. Finally we're now in our actual cage (a prevue 528) and doing wonderfully. There were some bumps as with most mouse introductions but I found this to actually be a lot easier than introducing two or more females to each other. Definitely would've gone smoother if it wasn't such a large group of females I was introducing to him since they all had their own opinions of him haha. If you're wondering if you should get your male mouse neutered the answer is definitely yes! Male mice suffer just as much as lone females do but unfortunately don't get along with the same sex. My boy absolutely loves the girls and is overjoyed to finally have some interaction with his own kind.
vothala
vothala

Cancer Zen

blackvelvetymouse likes this post

Back to top Go down

Introducing Neutered Male to Females Empty Re: Introducing Neutered Male to Females

Post by chiroptera Tue 09 Jun 2020, 10:49 pm

Glad to hear the introduction went well!!

I definitely would like to try a colony with a neutered male, though I'm always worried that it would be too intense of a procedure for such a small animal. Maybe I'll give it a go if I can find a vet that will do it, though! Smile

I'm sure your boy is much happier with his lady friends than on his own.

I'm curious - what country do you live in?

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vothala Wed 10 Jun 2020, 10:10 am

Thank you! I agree neutering is definitely a stressful procedure and I would only do it myself if I really trusted the vet and knew they could do a good job, but I think any male mouse would agree it's worth it for a life time of companionship! I live in the United States in the New England area.
vothala
vothala

Cancer Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Tue 18 Aug 2020, 11:39 pm

Neutering is not usually a stressful thing even for a small animal. I had a male rat neutered. He came home that afternoon, acting completely normally as though nothing had happened.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down