Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blue Tongue Skink?

+3
AnonymousMouseOwner
River
Bandit Cat
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Blue Tongue Skink? Empty Blue Tongue Skink?

Post by Bandit Cat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 1:34 pm

For all the reptile people out there, help!
I am interested in owning a blue tongue skink. I know they grow quite big, so I was wondering if a 116 qt sterilite bin could be used to house them. I was also wondering how the heating lamp would have to placed if I were to use a bin. Any additional info on blue tongue skinks is also appreciated. Smile

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Blue Tongue Skink? Empty Re: Blue Tongue Skink?

Post by River Tue 19 Jul 2016, 4:57 pm

I'm pretty sure they need at least 40-60 gallons, and a 116 qt is about 30 gallons. I don't know much else about them, them, though - I had to ask my sister just for this information. She likes reptiles.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 5:59 pm

ThePetekeyPrep wrote:I'm pretty sure they need at least 40-60 gallons, and a 116 qt is about 30 gallons. I don't know much else about them, them, though - I had to ask my sister just for this information. She likes reptiles.

But I compared the dimensions of the bin to a 55 gallon tank. The bin was almost the exact same amount of square inches as the 55 gallon tank.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 19 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

I used google to convert quarts to gallons, so it was likely wrong! Sorry, haha.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 19 Jul 2016, 7:53 pm

Ha! What a coincidence, my dad owns a Blue Tongue Skink! He absolutely loves his skink and is always watching videos, going on care websites, etc. I read him your post and he recommends this website called http://www.bluetongueskinks.net/. My dad says a 40 gallon is the minimum size he recommends, and you have to consider that they get about 2 feet long. That website should cover most of your questions, but if you have anymore specific questions you can ask me and I'll ask my dad, he can answer most questions you ask him Razz.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:19 pm

No advice (yay, Anonymous, though!) but those are kinda cool looking. Two feet, though! Shock
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:21 pm

abeona wrote:No advice (yay, Anonymous, though!) but those are kinda cool looking. Two feet, though! Shock
Haha, yeah, my dad's is over a foot already and he just got it last year as a baby! Razz

Last edited by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had something to add...)

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:37 pm

That's wonderful! Should I PM you or just post it here?

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 19 Jul 2016, 8:59 pm

Bandit Cat wrote:That's wonderful! Should I PM you or just post it here?
You can just post it here Smile
Edit: Hopefully it's not too off topic, but my dad wanted me to show you his skink before and after Smile
Before
Blue Tongue Skink? Img_6810
After  Shocked
Blue Tongue Skink? Img_9211
Blue Tongue Skink? Img_9210
Sorry they are so big, I don't know how to resize images on this forum.

Last edited by AnonymousMouseOwner on Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pictures)

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 19 Jul 2016, 9:52 pm

Wow, he did get big, and will get bigger. Very cool. I had lizards when I was a kid, can't remember now what kind they were, but they were small and stayed small. Thanks to your dad for sharing the pics!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 19 Jul 2016, 10:09 pm

Wow! Whatcha feeding that thing? Razz Neat to compare, thank you for sharing!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 19 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm

Holy Sheep That's a big skink. Pretty neat, though.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 8:11 am

I think I've decided to not use a bin, and I'll use an old fish tank instead. There is this really awesome aquarium shop I go to that sells HUGE old fish tanks for under $20. I also just realized I'll have to make a lid for that.... I'm trying to figure out if I need UV lighting because I'll probably take him outside daily for half an hour. I'm also trying to figure out the diet, because I want to do the main protein as dog food, but I don't know how often I should give live food (such as mealworms/superworms/crickets, I'm not ever going to be feeding mice!!!) I'm also wondering about potential fire hazards with the heat lamp and carpet, I'm scared that I'm not going to get the heat, humidity, décor, or substrate right!
*sigh* reptiles are really complicated! Sad

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 20 Jul 2016, 11:18 am

Are skinks like snakes in that feeding mice is the best thing for them? You could just do frozen mice.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Wed 20 Jul 2016, 2:50 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Are skinks like snakes in that feeding mice is the best thing for them? You could just do frozen mice.
No, I think too many mice is actually bad for them. A lot of places say you can feed mice in moderation, but I think I will try to feed roaches, silkworms etc.

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum