Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED

3 posters

Go down

Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED Empty Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by IPreferMousies Mon 12 Jun 2023, 6:26 pm

I bought Sophresh Odor Control Crumbled Paper bedding from Petco today and it didn't mention causing any harm to mice. I put a few handfuls in with the rest of their bedding to control their smell over a vacation when I couldn't spot clean as regularly. I left the mice in their cage for a few hours and then googled to see if baking soda was recommended for mice, purely out of curiosity. I realized my error and moved the mice to their travel cage immediately. How worried should I be about the health of my mice on a scale from 1-5

1 Take them to the vet immediately
2 Wait until I notice symptoms such as lethargy and irregular stool before I take them to the vet- keep them in travel cage for close observation
3 deep clean baking soda bedding from cage and check on mice in a few hours
4 spot remove bedding from bottom of cage and put mice back
5 it's no big deal and they'll be okay for a week- I can put them back without any issues

Please provide explanations for your responses. Thank you for your help in advance!
IPreferMousies
IPreferMousies

appalachianmousery likes this post

Back to top Go down

Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED Empty Re: Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by animalgirl555 Fri 16 Jun 2023, 10:04 am

Probably about a 3(deep clean baking soda bedding from cage and check on mice in a few hours). Your mice have only been in the enclosure with baking soda for a few hours. I think it all depends on your mice, some can be more sensitive to baking soda than others, but for the most part, will be ok. I was about to choose 4, but it is probably better for the health of your mice if you were to take out as much of the baking soda bedding as possible. If you were to just spot clean, you could miss a few spots, especially if your mice decided to take the bedding and use it for their nest, where you would (most likely)never find it, and your mice could get sick in the future. Just go and check on your mice later if that makes you feel more sure that they'll be fine. You don't need to worry so much, but it is better to do all of this than to risk having sick mice. Better to be safe than sorry!

Some safe bedding options are UNscented paper bedding, aspen shavings, hemp shavings.
UNsafe beddings are pine shavings, cedar shavings, scented paper bedding.
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED Empty Re: Using a bedding with baking soda- ADVICE NEEDED

Post by appalachianmousery Fri 16 Jun 2023, 6:06 pm

I don't feel particularly qualified on the baking soda issue as I believe it depends on several factors, but I wanted to add that I've had great personal luck with mixing in aspen shavings with my mice's paper bedding (about 50:50), for odor control! Smile Best of luck to you and your little ones, who I hope are acting okay.

Waffle (dark brown/possibly chocolate female, white stripes on face/belly, Pancake's sister)
Hopefully, future "ASF"s (African Soft-Fur rats, technically known as Natal Multimammate Mice!) Love
appalachianmousery
appalachianmousery

Aquarius

https://www.instagram.com/appalachianmousery/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down