Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long can females be alone?

+3
MesaMouse
EverythingAnimal
GabbiLuvsMice
7 posters

Go down

How long can females be alone? Empty How long can females be alone?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Sun 24 Jul 2016, 4:20 pm

I know that females can stand the quarantine period, but how much longer can they stay alone until the become depressed? We have decided to not add Ivory to the colony and just get her her own friend. We had too many failed attempts. My question is, if we have to quarantine a new mouse for 3 weeks, will ivory be okay for another 3?

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

How long can females be alone? Empty Re: How long can females be alone?

Post by EverythingAnimal Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:07 pm

I don't know for sure, but I think it depends on the mouse. Suzie was in quarantine for months to solve her health issues, and I took her out to interact with me often. It wasn't until a couple weeks ago that she started showing signs of depression (she is now living happily with the others, and her hair where she scratched is starting to grow back). Other mice might start to be depressed in a day or so of living alone, so I would play with her every day until you can get her a friend. If it we me, I would just keep trying with the other mice. It can take a while for them to figure everything out. And, if your unlucky the new mouse would not do well with her either. That's just my opinion, though.

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:26 pm

I agree with @EverythingAnimal in that each mouse will handle being alone differently, some much better than others. Cordelia, my senior mouse (almost 26 months old!) lost the last of her sisters about 7 1/2 weeks ago and has been alone since then, just being Cordelia. She doesn't dislike me, more tolerates me, so isn't willing to come out for extra snuggle sessions but is eating (only what she likes but, at her age, that's fine with me), drinking, eliminating, chomping the bottom out of an egg carton and sleeping a lot so pretty much what is to be expected at her age. I'm glad she's doing well on her own as she will be my last mouse.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:31 pm

MesaMouse wrote:I agree with @EverythingAnimal in that each mouse will handle being alone differently, some much better than others. Cordelia, my senior mouse (almost 26 months old!) lost the last of her sisters about 7 1/2 weeks ago and has been alone since then, just being Cordelia. She doesn't dislike me, more tolerates me, so isn't willing to come out for extra snuggle sessions but is eating (only what she likes but, at her age, that's fine with me), drinking, eliminating, chomping the bottom out of an egg carton and sleeping a lot so pretty much what is to be expected at her age. I'm glad she's doing well on her own as she will be my last mouse.

If you don't mind my asking, will you not get anymore mice in the future?  Do you have any other types of rodents?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:48 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:If you don't mind my asking, will you not get anymore mice in the future?  Do you have any other types of rodents?

As my osteoarthritis worsens, it's gotten much harder for me to move around, handle the deep cleans, getting the girls in/out of the tank/playpen, etc. Cordelia is the last of a colony of 5, The Slayerettes, all named after characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. At present, in addition to Cordelia, I have an elderly dog, Arwen the BooDog, and 4 hermit crabs. The BooDog is 12 years old, essentially blind, doesn't hear well and probably has the onset of doggie dementia (if there is officially such a thing) so I'm likely to lose her within the next year but I refuse to think about that -- denial is a wonderful thing. I love rodents and will miss not having any; @scaredymouse mentioned that hamsters only need a deep clean every 2-3 weeks so that would be a "plus" but they also need daily "outside" time such as running in a hamster ball or goofing around in a playpen. I've never thought about having gerbils and really don't know much about their needs but maybe a gerbil or two would be an option...don't know.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Sun 24 Jul 2016, 5:55 pm

I was just informed that my grandma introduced them and it's going fine, sorry guys. Rolling Eyes

GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 25 Jul 2016, 8:59 am

MesaMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:If you don't mind my asking, will you not get anymore mice in the future?  Do you have any other types of rodents?

As my osteoarthritis worsens, it's gotten much harder for me to move around, handle the deep cleans, getting the girls in/out of the tank/playpen, etc. Cordelia is the last of a colony of 5, The Slayerettes, all named after characters from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. At present, in addition to Cordelia, I have an elderly dog, Arwen the BooDog, and 4 hermit crabs. The BooDog is 12 years old, essentially blind, doesn't hear well and probably has the onset of doggie dementia (if there is officially such a thing) so I'm likely to lose her within the next year but I refuse to think about that -- denial is a wonderful thing. I love rodents and will miss not having any; @scaredymouse mentioned that hamsters only need a deep clean every 2-3 weeks so that would be a "plus" but they also need daily "outside" time such as running in a hamster ball or goofing around in a playpen. I've never thought about having gerbils and really don't know much about their needs but maybe a gerbil or two would be an option...don't know.
I'm sorry to hear about your osteoarthritis. I will say that out of all the rodents I've had, gerbils are super easy. Due to them originating from the desert, they don't drink as much as other rodents, so in turn they don't pee as much. I do a spot cleaning weekly but do a full cleaning just once a month. Also, just a tip, I have found that males get along better than females. And being they are social, it's best to have two or three. I currently have two males who are inseparable.

So in case you would like to get more rodents, you might look into gerbils. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Tue 26 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm

Do you take a vitamin b-12 and b-6 supplement? I have found it helps a bit with pain and energy.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Wed 27 Jul 2016, 10:55 am

peas wrote:
Do you take a vitamin b-12 and b-6 supplement?    I have found it helps a bit with pain and energy.

I've had osteoarthritis since I was 16 so, after 50 years, not much helps at this point. My joints are so degraded that both hips need to be replaced and one knee should be as well. That is simply not going to happen so I manage with the anti-inflammatory naproxen, either 2 Aleve gel caps each day or one slightly higher dose Rx naproxen daily. However, I will speak to my doctor before trying the B12/B6 supplement as I have to be careful that it won't adversely affect any of my other meds -- it's really scary how many vitamins, herbal supplements and OTC meds can wreak havoc with Rx meds! I used to work in a pharmacy and was appalled by the cavalier attitude customers had regarding adding vitamins, herbs, etc., to their prescription medication regime without first checking with their doctor or pharmacist.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Wed 27 Jul 2016, 12:58 pm

I was on Naproxen for awhile, about a year?, and oddly enough i felt better after i stopped taking it. That's happened to a few people, including one of my doctors. Of course the pain came back and i switched to another pain killer.

Sugar is really bad for inflammation. I try and avoid it but it's a constant battle. You could look into if you haven't, something along the lines of a modified paleo diet for inflammation. I know i feel much much better when i limit sugar.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Wed 27 Jul 2016, 6:40 pm

peas wrote:
I was on Naproxen for awhile, about a year?,  and oddly enough i felt better after i stopped taking it.   That's happened to a few people, including one of my doctors.     Of course the pain came back and i switched to another pain killer.

Sugar is really bad for inflammation.  I try and avoid it but it's a constant battle.  You could look into if you haven't, something along the lines of a modified paleo diet for inflammation.    I know i feel much much better when i limit sugar.

Naproxen is the only med of that ilk that works for me as it's an anti-inflammatory as well as moderate pain suppressant. I periodically have to go off it if I'm having certain medical tests done -- had to go off for 5 days prior to having a routine colonoscopy last month -- and laugh when my doctor tells me to take Tylenol instead...I tell him that swallowing 2 TicTacs would work just as well.

I'm a 90% vegetarian -- 10% not as I will eat the occasional piece of chicken or turkey breast -- don't eat fast food, fried foods, drink alcohol or soda so there's not a whole lot of things to avoid at this point. I do hear you on the sugar thing, though: I need a bit of sugar daily, whether it's a piece of dark chocolate or some ice cream.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm

Fruit can be an issue, even if you avoid refined sugars. Especially fructose, fructose is more easily converted into Advanced Glycolic End products, which do a fair amount of damage in our bodies.

You could try looking into AGES as they are called, it's a fairly new development in the diet/autoimmune disorder/pain management world. Though you won't like what they have to say about chocolate! lol

Unfortunately, diet, like medicine, is still in the witchcraft stage. Kind of just have to find what works for you and hope it doesn't do too much damage you can't see! lol

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Thu 28 Jul 2016, 1:09 pm

Dr. Wallach, who co-wrote Epigenetics, claims that cartilage can be completely regrown at any age by eating items similar to cartilage's raw materials. I think it was stuff like bone broth, gelatin, etc. I forget the exact ingredients, I've seen his cheap DIY recipe online in the past.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 28 Jul 2016, 1:58 pm

Wow, this thread has really gone off topic. Laughing

But I agree with EverythingAnimal and MesaMouse, it really depends on the individual mouse. I'm glad to hear they're together now. Any updates on how they're doing now?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down