Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dwarf Hamster Petsitting Questions

+4
scaredymouse
Rodents rock!
MouseLover
stephlisa
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dwarf Hamster Petsitting Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Dwarf Hamster Petsitting Questions

Post by scaredymouse Sat 06 Aug 2016, 6:50 pm

The balls are safe as long as use them correctly... you know, avoid stairs, don't leave them in there longer than about 20 mintues so they don't overheat or get dehydrated, always supervise them and make sure they don't get stuck somewhere, make sure the ball is big enough for them so they don't hurt their backs, and never force a hamster into the ball.  Some hamsters love them and some don't.  But if they eagarly hop in, they are good to go!

The balls are safe for mice, too.  All the same rules apply.

edit: yesterday when i posted about minimum cage size, i posted a link to the humane society. i was on my phone when i was writing that post (which is always a challenge!), so i scrolled down on that website, found what i was looking for and grabbed the link. Now that i am on a computer and was looking it over better... it has come conflicting information about cage size, 20 gallon tall vs 20 gallon long. anyway, if you are going to be making a case to your sister, I wouldn't use that website. The link i posted to the Pipsqueakery is an excellent source of information. They are a well-respected animal rescue/sanctuary and they know hamsters (and mice & chinchillas).

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Dwarf Hamster Petsitting Questions - Page 2 Empty Re: Dwarf Hamster Petsitting Questions

Post by AnonONIagent Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:39 am

Sally and Lola both love their balls!

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 07 Aug 2016, 12:56 pm

Archie is in a 71 x 46 cm cage (approx 506 square inches). I got told on a hamster forum that 70 x 40 cm is the minimum for a dwarf hamster by UK standards.

Sounds like you're doing really well with him though Smile

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 07 Aug 2016, 4:03 pm

Yeah, the UK has much more humane standards than we have.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

is there no way you can get him a 20 gallen tank and either say its a present - or that the tank "broke" and you had to get a new one and it happens to be bigger? I do realise youd be spending your own money on it but upto you

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:02 am

Sadly I can't really get him a new home. My sister lives in a flat and space is an issue...I don't want to impose a new tank that's bigger on her like that without discussing it with her first. Trust me, I've thought of that but we just couldn't see how she'd not get upset that we didn't ask her.

We're trying to make the best of it - plenty of out of cage time in a sensibly sized playbox and time in his ball and with us.
I know it sounds harsh to the little hamster, but we're doing the best we can, I promise.

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Mon 08 Aug 2016, 3:03 am

I know you are and its difficult sometimes - ok well maybe carry on with the gentle encorragement Smile

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 08 Aug 2016, 4:16 pm

It's so hard when people aren't doing quite the right thing with their animals—there's such a fine line between offending them and helping! I've tried so hard to subtlely talk to my best friend about her hamster care (she keeps her robo in two connected Crittertrail cages), but it never seems to really get to her :/

Hey, random question, what is the best base food for hamsters? Like, what brand and type would you recommend? My friend uses Oxbow but I don't know how good that is.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 Aug 2016, 4:31 pm

For food, I really like this one:

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/higgins-sunburst-gourmet-food-mix-for-hamsters-and-gerbils-1538446

but you have to supplement it with high protein lab blocks like Teklad or Mazuri, none of the hamster foods are high enough in protein. then of course i add all my usual fun stuff like mealworms, nuts, flaxseeds, cheerios, and fresh foods, etc.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 08 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

Ah, thank you so much, Scaredy! Could you use the rat & mouse Mazuri? Because the hamster one isn't sold at Petco

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2