Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now?

+2
Peachy
timez
6 posters

Go down

seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now? Empty seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now?

Post by timez Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:06 pm

Hi,

I just noticed these tiny insects that are black and jumping about in the tank with sparky - from how small they are they have to be fleas, lice, or mites.

What is the plan now - do i need to identify them and how do i get rid of them and off sparky if they got on him?

thank you for any help

Timez

timez

Back to top Go down

seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now? Empty Re: seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now?

Post by Peachy Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:35 pm

Many of us use ivermectin to treat mice and their environment for bugs. Here's our page with more information about it. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t1-lice-mites-and-ivermectin

If that won't work for you, your vet should be able to help you find an appropriate treatment.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now? Empty Re: seen tiny black jumpy insects in the tank - whats the plan now?

Post by timez Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:36 pm

where would i get ivermectin from in the uk? do i need to get it from a vet or do they sell it for example at supermarkets?

would this be any good - it doesnt say mice tho :/

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/anti-parasite-spot-on-for-rabbits-and-guinea-pigs-by-beaphar

timez

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:58 pm

I do remember someone saying you could find it in a pet store... I tried to search before I shared that page, but I couldn't find anything. That was why I also mentioned the vet, but I hope someone else will be able to point you in the right direction. When we figure it out, maybe we should add it to that page too! lol Best to you and Sparky!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by timez Sun 07 Aug 2016, 10:02 pm

ill go on a hunt for it and let you know what i can find lol

timez

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 07 Aug 2016, 10:39 pm

You can also check cattle stores. They usually carry it in the US. Maybe you'll have luck.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 Aug 2016, 1:07 am

It sounds like fleas Sad

Lice and mice don't jump around. If it is fleas, you are going to have a much more difficult time getting rid of them, unfortunately. Have you noticed any bites on yourself or seen any of them outside the tank? The nasty thing about fleas is that they can stay dormant for quite a while whereas lice/mites die off quicker.

You might want to try to catch/kill one. if you can smash it with a fingertip, it's probably not a flea. Far as I remember, fleas need to be smashed with your fingernail as they have a really tough exoskeleton. Gross, I know. But if they are fleas, you will need to treat your home as well as the animal. If it's mites/lice, you just need to treat the animal.

I think the product you listed would be too strong. They make one for hamsters/gerbils but I think even that would be too strong for mice... hopefully one of our UK folks can help. If it were me though, and I saw bugs jumping around... I would catch a bug and take my butt to the vet. I wouldn't mess around with that.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:07 am

This is the ivermectin I've used (sourced from the UK):
Http://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/small-pets/fleas-lice-and-mites/spot-on-treatments/xeno-50-mini

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Mon 08 Aug 2016, 10:30 am

I use the same one as stephlisa - you're supposed to weigh the animal and add a certain number of drops depending on their weight, so it won't be too strong for little mice. The average mouse will need 2 or 3 drops.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

excellent! good to know Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down