Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible okay mix-in food

2 posters

Go down

Possible okay mix-in food Empty Possible okay mix-in food

Post by Animal lover Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:50 am

I'm perfectly aware that most food marketed for mice and rats are not ideal whatsoever. I usually don't give a mouse and rat food a look over, but I happened to this time. I definitely don't see this food as being the main food for a mouse, but possibly being a food that you mix into other foods to give variety. Living world generally gets a bad rep for mice (although I did find a nice simple bird seed mix that I mix into other foods for my mice), and this food is by Living world, it's the Living world mouse food.

Wheat, barley, corn, white millet, black oil sunflower seed, red milo, wheat shorts, dehydrated alfalfa meal, oat groats, flaked corn, wheat middlings, ground corn, ground wheat, dehulled peanuts, dried green split peas, dried banana, raisins, dried carrots, soybean meal, dried beet pulp, corn gluten meal, calcium carbonate, orange oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salt, cane molasses, DL-methionine, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium oxide, calcium propionate (preservative), sorbic acid (preservative), lignin sulfonate, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, choline chloride, biotin, artificial colors (Green 3, Red 40, Yellow 6, Titanium Dioxide), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), pyridoxine hydrochloride, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, vitamin D3 supplement.

Crude Protein 13.0% (min), Crude Fat 5.0% (min), Crude Fibre 7.5% (max), Moisture 14.0% (max), Vitamin A 3,000 IU/lb (min), Vitamin D3 1,000 IU/lb (min), Vitamin E 10 IU/lb (min), Calcium 0.2% (min), Calcium 0.4% (max), Phosphorus 0.4% (min), Magnesium 0.2% (min), Zinc 30 mg/kg (min), Ash 4.5% (max).

The guaranteed analysis actually looks pretty good. As for the ingredients, corn is listed in the top three, and then again close to the top. There is salt added, and there would have to be removal of raisins and peanuts.

I would love your guys' opinions on this food for mixing in. I feed my mice Brown's tropical carnival Hamster and gerbil, Sunseed vita parakeet and Sunseed vita cockatiel and lovebird food, with a mx-in of the simple seed mix by Living world mentioned earlier with a homemade mix added in.

Thanks!

R.I.P: Sunny, Snowy, Butterscotch, Oscar, Cookie, and Patches
Animal lover
Animal lover

Dead

Back to top Go down

Possible okay mix-in food Empty Re: Possible okay mix-in food

Post by scaredymouse Mon 08 Aug 2016, 5:18 am

I think you have plenty of variety already without adding another food to the mix. It's not awful but it has sugar in it, and with all of the fruit in all of the other mixes, I think it would be too much. I don't think it had anything to add that they aren't already getting. If you decide to use it anyway, you would need to pick out the peanuts and raisins.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Animal lover Fri 12 Aug 2016, 2:26 am

scaredymouse wrote:I think you have plenty of variety already without adding another food to the mix.  It's not awful but it has sugar in it, and with all of the fruit in all of the other mixes, I think it would be too much.  I don't think it had anything to add that they aren't already getting.  If you decide to use it anyway, you would need to pick out the peanuts and raisins.

Ah, very good point touching on the sugar content. Thank you very much for your thoughts.

R.I.P: Sunny, Snowy, Butterscotch, Oscar, Cookie, and Patches
Animal lover
Animal lover

Dead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down