Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too Weird to Believe?

+9
CallaLily
Rodents rock!
MouseLover
Artistwolf
AnonONIagent
scaredymouse
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
CinnamonPearl
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Too Weird to Believe? Empty Too Weird to Believe?

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 29 Aug 2016, 8:44 pm

So, uh, weird news. About Monster. That I just found out.

So since I wanted to get an estimate on Monster's age for health and celebratory reasons, and no one on here is in the business of guessing mouse ages, I decided the best thing to do would be to call his Petsmart and ask the person in charge of animal care how long he's been there. That way, I could add six weeks for weaning and shipment and call it a guesstimate. So I call, and everything's totally normal. And I'm talking with a guy on the phone, an employee, and he leaves for a second to ask the animal care head how long Monster was there. And when he gets back on, he tells me, "Yeah, the three boys we had have been here for about two years."

Uhh. WHAT?! When I heard that, I could not even fathom what I'd just heard. TWO YEARS?!??! WHAT?!?!?! Obviously I was beyond confused, so I kept questioning him. "Did she mean two months? Are you sure you know what specific mouse I'm talking about? Are you aware that I am currently watching this two year old kid spider mouse upside down on his tank lid right now?" He was pretty sure of himself, but he told me that if I called back in fifteen minutes, I could talk to the head of animal care directly.

So I called back in 15 minutes as asked, and he put me on the line with her. (She was busy in the fish section at the time.) And I was like "Are you absolutely certain about this? You know which specific mouse I'm talking about, right?" Obviously I couldn't judge her facial expressions, but going by her voice, she seemed more certain than I would've liked. She said that she bought mice from the same shipment he came in, and she's had them for almost two years. I asked her the same spider mouse question I asked the first employee, and she said that he was always spunky, rowdy, and energetic. She was certain, so I accepted it and called it a night.

So, um. That was a surprise. On the one hand, you have an employee who has known this mouse for two years. I don't see what reason she would have to tell such a boldfaced lie, especially since the transaction was already made (and I would expect her to age him down rather than up). But on the other hand, I have had senior citizen mice before, and this boy has more energy than one year old mice I've had! I don't think he ever stops moving! He can scale a 90 degree ladder like nobody's business, and he runs on that wheel like a champ. I would've pegged him at 4-5 months. So do I believe her? I know pet store employees will spout lies when put on the spot, but she didn't sound like she was lying. She sounded 100% certain in herself. So... opinions?

Last edited by CinnamonPearl on Mon 29 Aug 2016, 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot quotations)
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Too Weird to Believe? Empty Re: Too Weird to Believe?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 29 Aug 2016, 8:57 pm

That's really weird... Wouldn't they go to the "back room" after a certain amount of months? I wouldn't think their manager or whatever would let them adopt something out that old. It's just me, but I wouldn't believe it... who knows though! Don't Know  The way you describe him makes it sound even more like they are lying... Scratch

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:40 pm

How strange. Maybe he's over a year old, but she exaggerated a little? When I adopted those three mice from a feeder breeder, she said they were all about a year, but there was no way they were that old! I guess that the boy was probably only 4-6 months. It sucks not knowing for sure, though.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:49 pm

Weird indeed. I'm not too familiar with Petsmarts policy on pets and how long they keep them around. Petco has a six month rule. Just before six months, they go on sale (gross that a living creature can go on sale, but anyway) and then at six months, they go up for adoption either in the backroom or somewhere, but definitely not in general population.

If she has worked there for 2 years, then of course its the truth. If she didn't personally know the mouse, then you could be looking at a "telephone game" situation. Someone told someone something that got misunderstood and passed along at the truth.

There are youthful 2 years old mice for sure though. Despite looking like death warmed over and having a tumor the size of a grape... Gilly still loves to climb and run on the wheel at 28 months old. I'm pretty sure Brynne's mouse, Lorca, is a healthy 29 month old chunky lady.

What a lucky fella, though. To spend his golden years in a nice retirement home, while he's still healthy enough to enjoy it. My condolences to you though, my dear, for you have had far too much heartache to be burdened with another. May he live long and in good health!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 29 Aug 2016, 9:56 pm

I still don't know whether to trust it or not. She did say that she adopted mice from the same shipment he was in almost two years ago. I can't imagine why she would lie, but then again pet store employees are notorious for lying! It's tough.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonONIagent Tue 30 Aug 2016, 4:20 am

That's bizarre! Probably something they should've told you before you got the mouse!

I know that according to the workers, none of the mice at my local mom & pop petstore and my local Petco are older than six months (dunno about Petsmart, we don't have one near us). I'm guessing since they sell their mice as feeders, they sell so fast that each shipment sells out before any of the mice hit six months of age.

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Tue 30 Aug 2016, 7:29 am

That's certainly weird. What confuses me is that you said almost no Petsmarts had mice when you called around, except them. That seems to indicate that move sell pretty regularly and they've just had to wait for their new shipment. So how could they have kept a mouse for two years? It's a tricky one though; maybe mice don't sell well in that particular area...

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 30 Aug 2016, 7:53 am

Very strange indeed. I can't see any reason for her to lie - but perhaps she has mistakenly exaggerated a little?

If he is 2 years old... well... they definitely should have told you that before you bought him. However, if they had told you, maybe you wouldn't have bought monster and he never would have known a real loving home.

He is a lucky chap to have found his way to you, whether you're together for a short time or a long time. I hope the latter though.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 30 Aug 2016, 8:43 am

I'm not sure if I would believe her or not, because I've gotten a lot of inaccurate information from PETsMART employees. But either way I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he is 2 months old or 2years old, he is enjoying his new life with you. Very Happy I just wouldn't put much stock in what the employee said.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 30 Aug 2016, 9:26 am

Alright, I guess I won't believe her. I mean, I don't mind him being an older guy! I would've bought him anyway. We had a connection after all!!!! The reason none of the Petsmarts had any mice is because they upped their standards for the supplier, and there aren't any shipments going out. (It was that way when I went to Petsmart to pick up Henry, I just realized. So there haven't been shipments for at least a month.) So it would actually make sense for Monster to be at least a few months old. But two years?

I'm thinking I'm going to call again and ask on their policies on animal age. You know, how long they wait before they put an animal in the back room. Maybe since there are no animals going out right now, they figured now would be the best time to get these old men adopted out? Because they have nothing: no birds, no Guinea pigs, no hamsters. The employees were even chatting about how nice it is to not be cleaning so many cages.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 30 Aug 2016, 10:15 am

Rodents rock! wrote:I'm not sure if I would believe her or not, because I've gotten a lot of inaccurate information from PETsMART employees. But either way I wouldn't worry too much about it. If he is 2 months old or 2years old, he is enjoying his new life with you. Very Happy I just wouldn't put much stock in what the employee said.

Ditto, just replace Petsmart with pet shop. It's hard to believe but like others said I would think it would be more a mistake or exaggeration than a lie. He looks healthy and sounds like he's very active. I know there are quite a few on another mouse group who have mice they claim are 3 or more years old that are in great shape. So surprising, but I guess not impossible.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Tue 30 Aug 2016, 5:35 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Maybe since there are no animals going out right now, they figured now would be the best time to get these old men adopted out? Because they have nothing: no birds, no Guinea pigs, no hamsters.
Thaaat's possible.... Interesting thought. They may have been in the back room and the employees just moved them out because why not try and sell them. Hm. I guess time will tell?

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 30 Aug 2016, 5:54 pm

I think I'm gonna call one more time just to ask about their policies on when pets get moved to the back and such. Perhaps I can try and figure this out. I mean, one of the boys was clearly obsessive compulsive. I can't imagine they'd try to sell him under normal circumstances.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 30 Aug 2016, 5:58 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:I think I'm gonna call one more time just to ask about their policies on when pets get moved to the back and such. Perhaps I can try and figure this out. I mean, one of the boys was clearly obsessive compulsive. I can't imagine they'd try to sell him under normal circumstances.
Yeah, that's a good idea. Let us know how it goes.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 30 Aug 2016, 8:02 pm

Yes, it will be interesting to know what they say. If Monster truly is 2 years old, then I think he should have been up for adoption and not for regular sale and his age should have been listed. His age wouldn't have kept me from getting him either, but I think that is something that should have been made known.

I was in PETsMART last week and they had about 4 male mice for sale.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next