Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baby Mice 2 Litters

4 posters

Go down

Baby Mice 2 Litters Empty Baby Mice 2 Litters

Post by green.morgan87@gmail.com Thu 15 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm

So I want to start off with I'm not a casual breeder, but I have two females who I believe were housed with males before bought. I bought them as feeders (I'm aware that I probably have the scorn of the site now) but I'm a softy and the snake needs to eat too. I noticed that they looked pregnant and so I bought new mice for feeders. (Something just seemed wrong about feeding a pregnant mouse) Long story short. I started with two females. I now have 20 mice altogether. In terms of the mothers; they're extremely active and very caring of their little ones. One litter is one week and one day old. One is between 6-12 hours old. My first thought was when they turned 4 weeks old I was going to separate the males and the females from each other so we didn't have another outburst of mice. My next thought is I used to buy males as feeders. The reason I stopped was they didn't get along whatsoever; is this common in mice or do I just need to watch? I have 6 habitats available at the moment, so I could separate some of the trouble makers, but not all. I'm big on giving the little guys their best life regardless if their feeders or not and it's no different with the babies. I want to do what I can to make sure that they're happy and go lucky (Hence buying in pairs; they don't go straight to the snake) I'm soft when it comes to any animal so I was hoping that I might be able to get some advice here.

green.morgan87@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Baby Mice 2 Litters Empty Re: Baby Mice 2 Litters

Post by Peachy Thu 15 Sep 2016, 12:47 pm

Welcome to the forum! Mouse Wave

Males are known to be very territorial and will be happiest with their own space. It's always a risk to house them together after they're weaned. This thread discusses it a little further: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 15 Sep 2016, 12:52 pm

Welcome! Abeona is right about the males, they all need their own territory. You will also find a lot you need to know about caring for the babies here: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t41-caring-for-babies-birth-through-weaning Good luck!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 15 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

Welcome. I agree with the others, the boys would do best separated once they are old enough to be away from mom. It's just not in their nature to live with other males. In the wild they'd be with a group of does, fighting and chasing away any rival males.  In captivity the fighting often leads to severe injuries and even death.  

You could use bins to save money on enclosures, adding ventilation on the lids. Any bin equal to the size of a 10 gallon aquarium would work well for each boy.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down