Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New with Two rescued mice

+4
Peachy
EverythingAnimal
CallaLily
Donnamae
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New with Two rescued mice - Page 3 Empty Re: New with Two rescued mice

Post by CallaLily Wed 02 Nov 2016, 12:13 pm

Hi. In the wild, males live with a group of females and fight/chase off any rival males that come into their territory. But the big difference between males confronting each other in the wild vs captivity is in the wild they can usually get away before it gets too serious. They may even manage to snag a couple females in the process to start their own group with, in their own area. In captivity, they have no where to go so this is why it usually results in serious injury or death. The reason it's suggested to release in an area where other mice are present is this confirms that food, water, and adequate cover is available in that location. Females may be able to join any nearby groups and males have the opportunity to snag some gals.

I hope this helps.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 02 Nov 2016, 12:48 pm

Donnamae, maybe next time don't post the same question in two different places? It makes it confusing for those who answer to know exactly what answers you've received and splits the conversation.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Wed 02 Nov 2016, 1:05 pm

Actually, I couldn't find my other post.maybe it didn't get posted.
CallaLily, I understand the concepts but I'm still confused. Help me out here. This is the crux. If it's best to release where other mice are present, why couldn't it be near where I released the other two? Because if I choose a completely new location, it could be right on top of another home anyway.
And what would be a safe distance from the first safe house?
Thanks!
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 02 Nov 2016, 1:08 pm

Donnamae, you can release your new mouse in the same location. Just try to avoid putting the safe houses right on top of each other. A little distance is safer than none.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 02 Nov 2016, 1:23 pm

I think you are over thinking it. The difference between releasing them near the first mice or somewhere else where there * might* be mice is that you know for sure that there are mice in the first area... So why drop new mice into an area where they are almost guaranteed to have conflict. If you have boy mice, they may bump into some males but they will find their way and establish a territory. If you have females, they will have no trouble finding a special man to share their lives with.

As far as a safe distance is concerned, I don't know the answer to that. I don't think it would need to be that far. Mice are homebodies, so I would think the equivalent of a city block should be fine.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 02 Nov 2016, 2:08 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Donnamae, you can release your new mouse in the same location. Just try to avoid putting the safe houses right on top of each other. A little distance is safer than none.

scaredymouse wrote: If you have boy mice, they may bump into some males but they will find their way and establish a territory.  If you have females, they will have no trouble finding a special man to share their lives with. 

This.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Sun 13 Nov 2016, 5:00 pm

Thanks!!!

We released Henry III and RIchard IV today. EMID (Every mouse is different). Minnie and Mitey were very rambunctious; escaped several times in the house and had to be re-captured.
Henry and Richard, maybe because they havent been in here too long, were more docile. They pretty much stayed under a burrow of paper towels in theit tanks while I had them inside.
Today, in prep for release, When we put them in the big box that has the safe house, they immediately went into the safe house. I checked them all day to make sure they werent killing each other or fighting.

At 330 pm we took them to our pre-scouted spot. And they just didnt want to leave apparently. Mini and Mitey had run out immediately. Henry and Richard are a little more cautious.
Well, they have enough food and maybe in the dark, they will venture out.
Godspeed to them.
I still have Micro mouse who I rescued Thursday off a trap. And the person whose cubicle it is said he would be ok with me putting down a humane trap. Micro is sooooo tiny (but feisty because she bit me when I was removing her from the glue). I have to wait til she gets bigger. (Like Minnie Mouse)

Thanks to everyone for their info on this subject!!!

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Fri 02 Dec 2016, 7:21 am

The saga continues....
When we returned to retrieve the 2nd safe house, it had been disturbed. All the leaves/twigs were off (that could have been wind becasue it had been VERY windy) but it was also at a different angle. The bread and fritos in the safe house were gone but the seeds were still there so I am hoping that they ate, left after a few days, and something else was smelling the seeds.
I think a combo of the unsettled feeling I got, plus we had rainy weather, cold weather (of course, its not getting any warmer these days), waiting for Micro to get a little bigger - whatever - I havent released more.
Unfortunately, Im still collecting and I really have to release two more. The nights are dropping into the 30s.
Will they survive? I know at least its a chance and better than a glue trap. I caught two in the cubicle of the guy who let me put the mouse hotel in lieue of the glue trap so I feel good that i had results to show. But these mice are used to being indoors.

The link here said (I forget the persons name) she preferred to release at dusk - the beginning of their "day". But I wondering if I should do it a little earlier . THat would at least give t hem a few more hours of temps in the mid 40s or 50s. We had three very mild days but it was POURING.
I was thinking of turning off the radiator in the room they are in but since they only have the 5.5 gal tanks (one per tank), they would not be able to run around to generate energy and warmth.
If I dont start releasing, I wont be able to catch more. Ha, I would l would love to drive to Virginia for warmer temps. Just kidding.
Whaddya think?
Donnamae

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 02 Dec 2016, 8:05 am

I think you should release all your mice sooner rather than later, before the winter fully sets in. Waiting won't do them any good. Most likely some other animal smelled the food in the safe house and helped themself. After all, everyone needs to eat. The mice you released already are probably settled by now and don't need it anymore, anyway. So I would look for a dry day and release the remaining mice. The longer you wait, the harder on them it will be.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Fri 02 Dec 2016, 8:55 am

Yes, I think you are right. I will take two or three safe houses - tomorrow afternoon during the warmer part of the day. I have five. I looked at the extended forecast and it will be dry til Tues.
Id do it today - its supposed to reach 50 - but work schedules wont allow it.
Thanks for the opinion!
This way I also have room for t he next batch.

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Donnamae Sat 03 Dec 2016, 7:44 am

Hi Again,
Another question.
In the past when we released, we released two together in one safe house. They "seemed" to be snuggling together when we removed the top to check on them, before leaving the house, and before temporarily covering the exit doors for the short walk in the woods.
Now, since I have five, do you think if I put three in one safe house, the extra mouse could potentially change the dynamics? Of course. I never know the sexes. WIth two, it could be two females, a male and female, or two males. If its two males and no females, they can probably co-exist for the few days it takes them to establish a territory. But if it happens to be two males and a female, there could be immediate power struggles?
I can do a third safe house. Or the fifth one Ive only had for a few days (since Wed). I can wait til next weekend cause Ill probably get another next week.
THanks,
Donna

Im going to call a few rehabbers. I know one and spoke to her previously about these guys, but really, they dont work alot with these small rodents. More the larger ones like chipmunks and squirrels.

Donnamae
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3