Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Update on Delilah's Skin Problem

+2
MouseLover
Musculus
6 posters

Go down

Update on Delilah's Skin Problem Empty Update on Delilah's Skin Problem

Post by Musculus Sun 24 Apr 2016, 2:06 pm

Well, after seeing three vets and spending a total of $900, I've come to two conclusions: the vets around here are quacks and Delilah's skin condition will never get better.

My luck with mice hasn't been the greatest and the expense has been through the roof! I feel sorry for Delilah that she ended up with me. My apartment is not fit for pets, maybe because the building is almost a hundred years old. Who knows! Anyway, I'm done with vets as far as this skin condition goes. I can't afford it. So, I come to you for any suggestions.

Here's where we are right now:
*Delilah is practically eating her arms right now and and the top portion of her stomach; she cries out in pain more than once a day when she grooms herself, much like Fluffy did with her tail (but I couldn't afford $1000 tail amputation at the time so she had to be put down)

*She's seen three vets and they all had different diagnoses:
*First vet: gave Delilah a steroid shot to stop her from scratching (didn't work) and prescribed Azithromycin 200mg at a dose of 0.05ml for ten days
*Second vet: did a skin scrape test and found "yeast" or "fungus" and prescribed Micosonol 60ml solution to be applied to affected area and right ear. He also gave me Metacam 2ml for pain relief. I had to give her 3 units of that. Neither has worked

*Third vet: she's from the 24hr Medical Hospital (big bucks but better labs). After cytology tests, consultation with dermatologist, and database research of studies on mice, she concluded Delilah didn't have fungus but did have some bacteria around the area she scratches and even worse, has taken off "layers" of skin so she's in more pain than I realized. Her opinion based on research was, some of the chocolate mice can be prone to "omega fatty acid deficiency and vitamin e".

So, I was given more Metacam 0.2Mg (which wasn't working so had to go back for the stronger Buprenex 0.3Mg and that's not doing much either). I was also prescribed Nordic Naturals Omega -3 Pet for Cats and Small Breed Dogs 2 oz with a dosage of 0.05ml orally once per day and vitamin E 200I.U. softgels for a month. It's only been a week but zero change in her condition and from what I can see, it's going to be zero change in three weeks time.

Since she didn't prescribe something for the skin, I called the vet and suggested a cream I read about for burn victims. I reasoned since Delilah lost layers of her skin which keeps her open to infections, I asked if we could try Silvadene 1% cream. She agreed and that's what I put on her every night. It's so nice when I have to do their job for them.

She prescribed an antibiotic called Clavamox Drops 62.5mg at a dosage of 0.01ml with food.

Lastly, I've given her Selamectin and Ivermectin repeatedly. Now, the vet wants me to give Delilah Selamectin once per every ten days. Nothing so far.

Delilah spends most of her time grooming her stomach and forearms with little sleep and she's in pain when she gets too aggressive with her grooming. She's only 11 months old and still has a lot of life in her. She eats very well but has lost interest in her wheel. I dread hearing the sound of her bird chirp when she bites into her skin. I don't know what else to do. I've cleaned out her cage more than once which is a huge pain when it comes to those CritterTrail cages. I'm thinking of getting her a ten gallon tank to make it easier on me.

Also, I now have a fungus infection of my left hand. It looks like she gave it to me when she walks on my arms. I've been given two creams by the same dermatologist and it's not going away. I also has a biopsy done just to make sure it was fungus. I went through a tube of Fluocinonide and Ciclopirox with no improvement. I have to go back for a third remedy! He says maybe she gave me this or maybe not. Well, I never had fungus of the skin until I let Delilah crawl on me. Now you have an idea what I'm dealing with.

I don't know what I'm going to do so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears!

Update on Delilah's Skin Problem D1%20Custom

Update on Delilah's Skin Problem D2%20Custom
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Update on Delilah's Skin Problem Empty Re: Update on Delilah's Skin Problem

Post by MouseLover Sun 24 Apr 2016, 4:10 pm

Poor Delilah Sad Sorry to hear you guys are having such a tough time. My initial thought would be ringworm, but I'm not sure what is usually used to treat that. I certainly don't think it's a coincidence that you now have something on your hand.

Certainly, move her to the tank if it's easier for you to clean. If it's easier to clean then that's better for Delilah too (especially right now, with all that raw skin). I'm afraid I don't have anything else to add, but I hope you find a solution soon.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sun 24 Apr 2016, 4:14 pm

I think the first step to finding out what's wrong with Delilah is to find out what you've got on your hand. Maybe try a different dermatologist if this one isn't working. Then you'd need to somehow figure out how to get whatever works on your hand in mouse form or the dosage for a mouse. Working backwards like that would be a lot more successful than trying to deal with vets right now, in my opinion.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Sun 24 Apr 2016, 4:27 pm

My response from Fun Mouse:

Are you certain that's not ringworm?
Try the silvadene on your hand. I use simple colloidal silver (pure water with 10 ppm of silver in it) to cure topical infections, so it would probably have similar results.

On the new mouse forum, NM and Apple Cheeks have started a discussion about Apoquel. The claim is that it's a near-miraculous veterinary scratch stopper. It's briefly mentioned in the Off Topic section, a thread about Apple's other pets. Then it's explained more fully in Cinammon Pearl's "Mabel" thread in General Health.

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Musculus Sun 24 Apr 2016, 5:07 pm

I'm not sure but two different vets did skin scrapes and never mentioned it. We never saw the typical ringworm pattern but you never know.

I tried the Silvadene on my hand but it became inflamed so I stopped.
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by Musculus Mon 25 Apr 2016, 4:31 am

Tried Benadryl last night. Wildlife rehabber that I know suggested it. I got the children's version, dye-free. You'd think these things would work or keep her down enough that she'd sleep it off. Nope! Had to get up 2 in the morning today and rub some Miconosol into her chest and arms. She just won't stop attacking these areas!

I'd love to try the Apoquel but I just can't afford another vet visit right now to get a prescription. They are super money hungry here so it'll have to wait but thanks for the tip. I'll keep it in mind.
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:21 pm

Oh boy... well, I went through this with my hamster Honeybun.  She had ringworm.  It had to be diagnosed by sending a special biopsy to the local university which took a week to get back.  It isn't something they could see on a simple skin scrape.  My honeybun needed to be on oral Griseofluvin for life because she was immunocompromised but most hamsters respond to topical lamisil.  it's an over the counter medication for athletes foot etc. and you could use it as well.  

At least in hamsters, ringoworm does not present how one would expect.  If I didn't have such an awesome vet, we would have never figured it out.  And by the way, they same thing happened to me.... I got ringworm on my hands and chest, where she would snuggle on me.  I gave my hamster benedryl just to make her sleep more which the medication had a chance to work.

My guess would be ringworm.  I would suggest calling up one of your vets to make sure that lamictal is safe for mice (it's safe for hamsters).  I'm going to tell you the hamster directions because that is all I have to offer.  Apply once a day for the first week, and then move to every other day until you feel confident that the infection is gone. You only need to apply a very thin layer for it to work.  and then just make sure it stays on for about 5-10 minutes.  that's all it takes to get some into her skin.  in a perfect world she wouldn't lick it off but it's not the end of the world if she does.

given that you have already tried everything else.... I would really urge you to try the antifungals.

** edit: I just checked with a trusted small animal rescuer and she said that she is fairly certain that Lamisil is safe for mice, as well as hamsters.

Last edited by scaredymouse on Mon 25 Apr 2016, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added note)
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Musculus Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:12 pm

I will have to go again and demand they give me Griseofluvin and Apoquel or I want book an appointment. Let's see how much they like green paper flying away.

Even with two pain meds and Benadryl, Delilah still manages to stay awake and eat her skin. I can't win.
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 25 Apr 2016, 10:29 pm

It sounds like you have tried everything else... I think it's definitely worth a try. So, with the griseofluvin, I had to go get the pill (griseofluvin 250mg) at a regular pharmacy (about $10.00) and then bring it back to the vet for them to crush it and dilute it. in my case, we crushed a whole tablet and diluted it with 10ml of water and I gave my hammie .03ml once a day. I saw an improvement in about a week and all her hair grew back within a month. I just wanted to give you a little info for comparison. She weighed less than 40 grams, so I would imagine that a mouse wouldn't be too different.

i'm so sorry you guys are going through this... it's so hard to watch them suffer like this. there are risks with the use of antifungals but they aren't worse than what she is already going through.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Tue 26 Apr 2016, 1:20 am

If it turns out to be simple ringworm, I think that a refund of most of your previous payments should be due back to you!!

Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by Musculus Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:21 pm

I got off the phone with the vet that runs the clinic. She didn't agree with either Griseofluvin or Apoquel. The former has too many side effects and it's old, according to her. The latter is good for allergy sufferers and can make her skin condition worse if there's bacteria or fungus.

She said to give her until Thursday and that she'd do some research. I never dealt with her before but she's the boss of the place so I'm assuming she has more knowledge. I'll keep you posted.

Saw a doctor about my hand. I have to take an antibiotic four times per day! And, I have two new creams. This is how aggressive this infection is.
Musculus
Musculus

Libra

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 26 Apr 2016, 9:28 pm

I hope the vet comes up with something! I didn't realize how bad she looks in her picture. Poor thing. Sad
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down