Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Inflicted wound help please

5 posters

Go down

Self Inflicted wound help please Empty Self Inflicted wound help please

Post by lOst9975 Sat 17 Feb 2018, 12:26 pm

My little boy have given himself a huge hole on his body at his back. He is currently on medication to treat skin infection. I was given chlorhex wash, silvin cream and antibiotic. I was told to apply every 12hours but i've only done so once every 1/2 days as it stresses my mouse a lot.

As the vet is currently closed for lunar new year, i need advice as to how to treat this wound temporarily

P.S: he is still running around just fine.
https://i.servimg.com/u/f62/19/50/41/54/20180224.jpg

lOst9975

Back to top Go down

Self Inflicted wound help please Empty Re: Self Inflicted wound help please

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 17 Feb 2018, 1:00 pm

Awww, poor boy. Is he still fooling with the wound? Maybe try getting him out more for some playtime and then after playtime put his meds on. That way he won't associate only meds with coming out. And after give him his favorite treat. Hope this helps. Please keep us posted on how he is healing.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by River Sat 17 Feb 2018, 1:13 pm

Stress is a given when it comes to medicating these guys. I was medicating mine for a similiar issue too and boy did she hate it! Give the medicine every 12 hours as instructed. Towel him if you need to. Look up restraint methods, like towelling, scuffing, or just putting it on his fur. I put antibiotics on the paws once or twice as a last resort. She licked it off ASAP, but I'm not sure about the other medicines. They probably go directly on the wound, yes?

As for how to clean the wound, get a syringe (no needle) and saline wound wash. Kept my girls wound clean and healing while she recovered, a process I'm still doing daily myself.

If the antibiotic is oral, putting it into a treat he likes (no dairy) might work, too. Worth a try, they give you extra medicine to experiment with anyways.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by lOst9975 Sat 17 Feb 2018, 8:28 pm

Thanks guys! It happen over lunar new year when im busy so i didnt know what happen..

My boy actually like the antibiotic as it contains glucose so i didnt have trouble with that.

lOst9975

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sun 18 Feb 2018, 2:13 pm

Oh my goodness!  What a terrible wound!  I don't doubt that he is messing with it now but i wonder if that started as an abscess that burst.  That doesn't really look like a self inflicted wound actually.  It looks like it was an infection under the skin that burst.  Either way, the medication he's on sounds appropriate.  Poor boy, it looks awful.  Is he on pain medication?  He may be stressed out because of pain.  Please ask your doctor for metacam.

He lives alone, correct? What kind of wheel does he use? I wonder if that around started as an injury?

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetlings Sun 18 Feb 2018, 3:43 pm

Poor guy! Sounds like you're doing everything right by him while he heals up though Smile

I agree with all the great advice so far! I would just add that one of my girls had a wound she wouldn't stop messing with recently, and along with all the medicine, something that really helped was keeping her busy! Distraction can be really important, especially since you have a single boy.

I made a few toilet rolls stuffed with treats and nesting material, added more shredded paper for building nests, hid treats in a bundle of paper towel and sprinkled food in an egg carton maze. I added a different puzzle every day or when I noticed my girl scratching and biting at herself - hopefully something like this will give the wound time to heal while he is occupied?

Hope your little guy feels better soon!
sweetlings
sweetlings
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down