Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bringing materials in from the outdoors

3 posters

Go down

bringing materials in from the outdoors Empty bringing materials in from the outdoors

Post by Guest Mon 02 Nov 2020, 6:29 pm

I was wondering if i there are any items i could bring in from the outdoors that are safe for my mice to play with, and how would i sterilize them?

Back to top Go down

bringing materials in from the outdoors Empty Re: bringing materials in from the outdoors

Post by M O U S E Tue 03 Nov 2020, 9:21 am

Sticks are one thing I've brought in for my hamster and mice. I use apple sticks, but as far as I know they can have any kind of sticks that come from a tree that has fruit that they can eat. You can also bring in pinecones and even rocks.
https://youtu.be/VDQX0yDRPzs
For the rocks I have I just washed them with water and safe soap. I have heard people say that for wood, they either freeze it for several hours, boil it in water, or put it in the oven. I don't know any specifics for those method... safety, times, temperature, etc, but it could be something to look into.

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

Back to top Go down

bringing materials in from the outdoors Empty Re: bringing materials in from the outdoors

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Sat 07 Nov 2020, 12:24 am

Rocks are great climbing items for mice Very Happy
bringing materials in from the outdoors 2d48342d_cbd8_47c5_b540_c157ff501e93_by_pancakeplatypus_de8al1y-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04NTEiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGNkZjE0ZS1iMzM1LTQzNDktOWJlOS1hNGJlMzQxMjU2MDNcL2RlOGFsMXktZTU1MDMxZjUtODI5Ni00MzAwLTg2NmYtYzE3NDIwZjhkZGI4LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0
^My girl Murphy in the playpen with the rocks I’ve cleaned and collected

You can sterilize them by either
1. scrubbing them well with a scrubber under hot water & then leaving them to soak in hot water for an hour or two.
2. Scrubbing them off well with a scrubber and then putting them in boiling water and leaving them in it for an Half an hour to a full hour.

Smooth rocks Tend to be easier to clean (but any are ok as long as they are cleaned right.) Getting a bunch and then stacking them up in a side of your cage (or even getting one or two large rocks) makes a nice climbing space that doubles as a natural nail trimmer

Any size rocks work (as long as they fit in the cage xD) but smaller pebbles are harder to scrub so running them under hot water and then putting them in boiling water for a little longer should do it.
bringing materials in from the outdoors 11e3791a_963c_436f_806d_6a2b9073926a_by_pancakeplatypus_de8aljb-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3siaGVpZ2h0IjoiPD04NTQiLCJwYXRoIjoiXC9mXC83NGNkZjE0ZS1iMzM1LTQzNDktOWJlOS1hNGJlMzQxMjU2MDNcL2RlOGFsamItZjZmNDg5ODUtZDllOS00NTFiLTg1YzAtYjU1ZTA4ZDE5N2E0LmpwZyIsIndpZHRoIjoiPD0xMjgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0

You can also check out this list of safe plants: http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topic/63232-hamster-safe-plants/
(It says for hamsters but you can infer that they are also safe for other small rodents/pets in general.)
Some plants can be found outside, you just have to be sure of what the plant is (as some look similar,) and that you wash them properly & then quarantine them for a month before you put them around your mouse/mice.

I hope this helps!
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Sun 08 Nov 2020, 5:19 pm

I am planning on using part of a small trellis for climbing. It was outside, but now it's been in my garage for several months. It is metal, so how should I sterilize that?

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Mir’s Many Mice Sun 08 Nov 2020, 7:39 pm

@clementine 
Scrubbing it under hot water (and maybe even with pet safe dish soap(optional)) should work. And then let it soak in hot water for a while if you can.

If it’s metal you want to be sure that it won’t rust when in the cage. I’m guessing that it’s water-safe/protected though if it was outside before now and hasn’t rusted.

Add on Edit: and with anything, you can also be double safe by sticking the item in the freezer overnight or a full 24 hours. (This is especially good to do with any wood items.)
Mir’s Many Mice
Mir’s Many Mice

Virgo Stressed

https://www.instagram.com/mirsmanymice/

Back to top Go down

Post by Clementine Mon 09 Nov 2020, 5:14 pm

Okay, thanks! Yeah, I think it's water protected or something....

Scorpio Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down