Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions

3 posters

Go down

Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions Empty Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions

Post by mice78043 Thu 25 May 2023, 5:06 pm

I owned 2 hamsters (in separate cages of course) and one of them died a few weeks ago. I have decided to get mice, and I purchased everything I need and sanitized all the hamster things I am reusing. I have done much research using emiology and other mice YouTubers but I have a few remaining questions. By the way, I will be getting 3 female mice. Anyways, here are my questions.

1. How often should I feed fresh fruits and vegetables, and how much for 3female mice?

2. How often should I clean their cage?

3. What does a cage clean look like for mice? I know hamsters hate having cage cleans so I only do it ever 1-2 months, but I’ve heard things can build up quicker in mice so how should I go about cleaning the cage? Like a full deep clean?

4. Do mice smell extremely bad, if so how to manage it? I have hemp, aspen and paper bedding (paper bedding will just be nesting material) because I heard wood bedding is better.

Thank you for the help.

mice78043

Back to top Go down

Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions Empty Re: Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions

Post by animalgirl555 Mon 29 May 2023, 10:36 pm

You should spot-clean their cage weekly and then deep clean monthly. When I deep clean my mouse enclosure, I like to take out all of the bedding and leave just a tiny bit of clean bedding, so that the enclosure stays familiar, especially if I end up washing the hides.
Mice can start to smell if you don't clean them often enough. All you need to do is make sure to wash any hides that got peed on and take out any soiled bedding. I'm not sure if certain beddings will prevent them from smelling.
Good luck with your new mice! Smile
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions Empty Re: Getting Mice Soon - A Few Questions

Post by mice78043 Tue 30 May 2023, 8:10 am

animalgirl555 wrote:You should spot-clean their cage weekly and then deep clean monthly. When I deep clean my mouse enclosure, I like to take out all of the bedding and leave just a tiny bit of clean bedding, so that the enclosure stays familiar, especially if I end up washing the hides.
Mice can start to smell if you don't clean them often enough. All you need to do is make sure to wash any hides that got peed on and take out any soiled bedding. I'm not sure if certain beddings will prevent them from smelling.
Good luck with your new mice! Smile

Thanks for replying! I am getting them today <3

mice78043

appalachianmousery likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by appalachianmousery Thu 08 Jun 2023, 3:07 pm

A bit late, but I wanted to add that (in my personal, limited experience) mixing in aspen small pet bedding with the natural paper bedding I use (50/50 ratio, roughly) has done WONDERS for keeping smells to a minimum! Smile Also, the boys tend to be noticeably smellier from everything I've seen/read, and I've found that to be true. Best of luck with your new little ones! Heart Cookie
appalachianmousery
appalachianmousery

Aquarius

https://www.instagram.com/appalachianmousery/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down