Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trios not working out, back into pairs

5 posters

Go down

Trios not working out, back into pairs Empty Trios not working out, back into pairs

Post by Brynne Wed 27 Apr 2016, 7:49 pm

I have six lady mice: The five lab mice I adopted in August and two-year-old Lorca, who was born here. I kept the lab mice together until tiny Sarah Jane barbered the other four. I removed two into a separate tank, hoping SJ would calm down with a smaller colony of three. Nope.

When the last of Lorca's sisters died, she was alone for the first time ever and needed a new friend. I introduced her to the tiny barberer, Sarah Jane. They got along okay. For a few months, the six ladies were housed as three pairs. When Tegan was about to give birth two months ago, I moved her roommate, Zeldah, back in with the tank of two lab mice so Tegan could have a nursery tank all to herself. Zeldah got on famously with her old friends, I was impressed with their co-operation and lack of any domineering behaviour. When Z was in a pair with Tegan, they had occasionally scuffled.

Tegan's babies died, so she was left alone. That left me with quite a housing dilemma. Adding her to the tank of three lab mice would make it too crowded, I think she would've returned to her overbearing humping.

Putting her back as a pair with only Zeldah seemed unfair to Zeldah and the other two. Reluctantly, I intro'd Tegan to big, old Lorca and reunited her with the tiny barbering mouse, Sarah Jane. Lorca immediately chewed off Tegan's whiskers, but left the fur on her cheek pads alone. A week or two later, SJ took care of that fur and razed it down to bare skin. Ugh. Not what I wanted for poor Tegan. However, the other colony of three lab mice continued to thrive in harmonious bliss.

UNTIL LAST NIGHT! At playtime, I took their tank off of the shelving unit so I could reach in and lift out each mouse. Out of nowhere, Zeldah and Sabine had been completely and brutally barbered, right down to bare, bright pink skin. WOW. I didn't see that coming. For two months, there was no fighting, no humping, no over-grooming. I couldn't even tell who was the alpha. Well, yesterday Eliza decided that it had to be her, and the other two agreed! A nonchalant Eliza was the only one left with a full set of whiskers.

I'm not going to let that situation continue. I moved the six ladies back into the same pairings from two months ago. These little creatures may only weigh an ounce, but they sure have a lot going on in their heads!!
Brynne
Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Trios not working out, back into pairs Empty Re: Trios not working out, back into pairs

Post by Peachy Wed 27 Apr 2016, 9:27 pm

What an interesting group... nice and complicated! Haha
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Trios not working out, back into pairs Empty Re: Trios not working out, back into pairs

Post by scaredymouse Wed 27 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm

lol! those ladies are a hoot!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Thu 28 Apr 2016, 6:17 am

Madness!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 28 Apr 2016, 8:22 am

Oh my. It's almost like daytime tv. Popcorn Laughing I hope the pairs work out.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down