Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good-bye Nikki

+5
CinnamonPearl
MouseLover
CallaLily
Peachy
essentiallysue
9 posters

Go down

Good-bye Nikki Empty Good-bye Nikki

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:33 am

I had to have Niki put to sleep yesterday. She was the tiniest of four white mice I bought last February. When I first got them, she was the "chief" and most active. But they all grew big and she was fired from that position. Still she was the one who loved her humans, and one special roommate, Bree. They always came out together and ran in the wheel together. Eventually, Niki began itching and scratched into sores. They were all treated for mites, but it did not help her. I considered everything, one thing at a time, to see if it were an allergy, and she became an obsessive scratcher. She kept eating and stayed active until this last day or two. She still became very frail. I took her to the vet and he did a skin scrape and determined she did not have mites. So frail and weak, she was helped to her heavenly home.
Her little friend, Bree, took it so hard, sleeping in the spot where Niki has slept constantly in her final days. The other mice are healthy. This morning, I changed the cage so maybe Bree would pal with the others and not sit in Niki's spot.
Niki, Niki, we miss you!

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Good-bye Nikki Empty Re: Good-bye Nikki

Post by Peachy Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:53 am

I'm sorry for you and your girls. I know it's awful to lose them like that. My boy Sulley passed after two months of scratching, it makes me sad to think of how irritated he must have been. I'm glad Niki gets some peace now, and I hope that Bree will learn to love her other friends as much as she loved Niki. Rainbow Angel
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:22 am

I have had mice since 2012 and this is the second one I have lost to excessive scratching. Couldn't help that other one either. I wish I knew how to stop them from beating themselves up!
Thank you for your kind words.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:54 am

I'm so sorry. It's heartbreaking to watch them hurt themselves so badly and nothing seems to help. Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:57 am

Sorry for your loss Sad I have never had an obsessive scratcher, but it sounds really awful. At least Nikki is at peace now, poor little thing. Rest in peace Nikki.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:16 am

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:38 pm

So sorry about Nikki -- she sounded like a feisty little lady. Sadly, with obsessive scratching there doesn't seem to be a lasting cure as it appears to be psychologically triggered rather than a physical illness. Hope Bree adjusts well to her loss and gets lots of love from her sisters.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 4:51 pm

When you say that, it makes me wonder if it was caused by her being replaced as the leader of the group! Only wish we could know how they think.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Nestmouse Sun 13 Nov 2016, 6:11 pm

Sleep peacefully, Nikki!

Nestmouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:43 am

I'm sorry to hear about Nikki. It's heartbreaking to watch them hurt themselves. Hopefully little Bree will make a new friend. It always makes me so sad to watch them grieve. Run free sweet Nikki.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Goldehwolfeh Mon 14 Nov 2016, 9:44 am

I am sorry for your loss :c. It's very heartbreaking

Little Angels- Kitty (Doe), Kara (Doe), Corn (Doe) Angel
Goldehwolfeh
Goldehwolfeh
Jr Member