Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good US Lab Block?

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Good US Lab Block? Empty Good US Lab Block?

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 13 Nov 2016, 10:17 am

What's a good US lab block? I wanna add it to Henry's diet because I am notoriously bad about giving fresh foods. >.< Trying to get better about it but until I can I wanna be safe and get him those good nutrients!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Good US Lab Block? Empty Re: Good US Lab Block?

Post by MesaMouse Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:20 pm

Mazuri Mouse and Rat Lab Blocks are very good as a crude protein boost (23%). This is what I use as a supplement for Imogene the ham as recommended by scaredymouse. PetSmart doesn't stock this brand but Petco online does as do some of their stores.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 12:56 pm

I personally don't like Mazuri's ingredents (mostly soy and corn last I checked), but I know that's just my personal preference to avoid those foods listed right at the top. So far I haven't found a U.S. block food for mice that I do like. I know Oxbow is not a favored brand here but their adult rat block looks pretty good imo.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:32 pm

Supreme Selective for Rats is what I have just gotten. The protein percentage is 12% which is recommended so they don't get itchy. The pieces are smaller than the Supreme Selective for Mice, so the mice can carry it around. I hear some crunching at night so I guess it is accepted.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:46 pm

essentiallysue wrote:Supreme Selective for Rats is what I have just gotten. The protein percentage is 12% which is recommended so they don't get itchy. The pieces are smaller than the Supreme Selective for Mice, so the mice can carry it around. I hear some crunching at night so I guess it is accepted.

You've found Supreme Science Selective Mouse in the U.S.? Please share. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:53 pm

Try PetMountain.com.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 7:54 pm

Thanks!

Edit: shoot, I only see their rat food.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

It is the rat food that I bought. The mice food is the same, but larger, so I found out at the website I go to, The Rodent's Nest.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:11 pm

The ingredients are different. The crude protein, fat, fiber, calcium, phosphorus, vit A, Vit D3 -  all different. Thank you though.

Edit: Though looking on Supreme's website the only difference is the ingredients. Pet Mountain lists different % too though but I'd guess the company's actual site is probably more accurate.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:46 pm

This is the ingredients of the one I got: ngredients: Whole Wheat, Soybean Meal, Whole Barley, Whole Oats, Dried Apples, Dried Blackcurrants, Wheat Middlings, Ground Limestone, Soybean Oil, Wheat Flour, Monocalcium Phosphate, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Salt, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3), Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Iron Sulfate, Niacin Supplement, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Thiamine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Copper Sulfate, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) - 12.0%
Crude Fat (min) - 3.0%
Crude Fiber (max) - 6.0%
Moisture (max) - 11.0%
Calcium (min) - 0.5%
Phosphorus (min) - 0.3%
Vitamin A (min) - 10000 IU/kg
Vitamin D3 (min) - 1000 IU/kg
Vitamin E (min) - 50 IU/kg

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 8:56 pm

Thank you. I guess Supreme's site is out of date then.

Here's my bag of their mouse food.
Good US Lab Block? 20161130

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:26 pm

Yeah, I thot the mice food's protein was too high. That's why I got the rat food. I really got it because it was supposed to be good for skin and coat. (Especially for Nikki) But she passed away anyway, so I don't know if it would have helped her.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 13 Nov 2016, 9:37 pm

I just wanted to compare because I order the mouse in just to round out the mix I give them.  Generally 12-14% is acceptable for most pet shop lines but you're right, it's worth switching to a lower CP if your mice are itchy.

But with looking around tonight I see there's now a few bags up on Amazon so yay!  I may be able to save a few dollars next time I need to order.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 5:56 am

So which one is good? Supreme science selective mouse or rat?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 14 Nov 2016, 6:57 am

I personally go with the mouse. It's formulated with mice in mind, not rats.  I know it was often said over on TFM that they recommended hamster food instead BUT that's because A) Most mouse foods here are formulated for not just mice but rats and/or gerbils too and B) mostly have the wrong GA and crappy ingredients.  IMO, Science Selective Mouse has all the right % and great looking ingredients plus is formulated just for mice.

Last edited by CallaLily on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next