Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?)

3 posters

Go down

Do you think she looks pregnant?

Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Vote_lcap50%Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]
Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Vote_lcap50%Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 2
Back

Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Empty Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?)

Post by MimzytheBun Mon 14 Nov 2016, 3:46 am

(I originally put this post in pictures before I realized it would go better here Smile )

Hello everyone! This is my first post to the forum, as I said in the description I am new to mousery. I do have two bunnies though who live like royalty (half of "our" living room is really theirs Razz ), plus a spawning group of white cloud mountain minnows. After doing a lot of research about the different pocket pets, I decided to go with a mouse do to their reduced space demands and train-ability. I've reach through pretty much every topic on these forums trying to prepare myself for various situations, which turned out to be a very good thing! Unfortunately I like in nowheresville Ontario, and there are no breeders within an 8 hour driving distance. I called around shelters and checked online to see if any mice needed adoption, but also came up dry. I asked the humane society how often they would get mice and they said less than once a year. Pet store it is. I was pretty disappointing with my "local" pet store, which when I asked if the mice where sex separated and handled her answer was "Eh... mice are mice." Well there goes my original plan of getting three females - I do not want three litters to rehome! I decided to play it safe and only buy one lady, and in another two weeks if she hasn't made herself some friends I'll buy her another Smile Like I said, I have no hands on experience though and was hoping some people on here would give me their opinions on the whole "pregnant/not pregnant" debate. Enjoy some glamor shots of her tummy, apologies for the glare on the glass. She looks pretty round to me! Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) OuPhIDd

And here is her being a super sweet girl earlier tonight; it was the first time I was handling her directly, as she took a few days to settle into her new home. Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Ioolizz

I have her in a rather sparse nursery set up, with a raised-entrance nest box under a second story cardboard roof. As I expect she is quite young, I wanted to give her as much privacy around her nest as possible (the glass under the roof is blocked from all sides by cardboard too). I made a ladder very easily by just cutting up the first paper layer of the cardboard, messing it all up but making it nice and gripable for Miss Mouse. The series of tummy shots are of her on the second floor, and you can see I've also given her a little wood hidey house up there. I sprinkle her food (mix of hamster food, some dog kibble and sugarless no name cheerios) all over the second floor, and layer strips of ripped tissue to make waste clean up a breeze. I find Lola, like my rabbits, tends to go potty whenever/where ever she eats. I do have a saucer spinner on the lower floor but she has yet to use it. She was running very actively on the wire wheel at the pet shop, so if she doesn't catch on I might have to go buy a mesh one.

All and all I'm surprised by how quickly bonding is going, and of how quickly she seems to grow bored. Anytime I remove the mess top to the aquarium she is right up on top of her hidey house investigating the edge! I'm excited though to see her react to all the complicated house designs I have bouncing around my head. Until the babies (or lack there of) arrive, I'm going to keep it simple though with fingers crossed Smile
MimzytheBun
MimzytheBun
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scared

Back to top Go down

Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Empty Re: Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?)

Post by Peachy Mon 14 Nov 2016, 5:44 am

Welcome to the forum! She's a cutie. Smile

It's hard to say if that's a pregnant tummy or not. Some mice just have a little extra chub on their sides. It might be easier to tell if you can get a picture of her from above.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?) Empty Re: Meet Lola! (Also possibly pregnant, thoughts?)

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 14 Nov 2016, 5:55 am

Welcome!

If the pet store kept boys and girls together, then there's about a 99% chance she's pregnant. Very wise of you to only buy one girl because of that risk for now! If she isn't pregnant, I would recommend getting your next mouse from a chain pet store like Petsmart or Petco. Their care actually turns out to be better than a lot of small, local pet stores, and they tend to be decent at separating sexes.
CinnamonPearl
CinnamonPearl

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down