Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Oat Groat Dilemma

3 posters

Go down

The Oat Groat Dilemma  Empty The Oat Groat Dilemma

Post by MooMouse Sun 20 Nov 2016, 2:38 pm

I feed my mouse Sunseed Vita Prima Parakeet Food, which has Oat Groats as its second ingredient. However, Rogue does not eat them. He leaves them in his bowl. But, I have figured out that if I split the groats open with my fingernails and then give them to him, he will eat the inside. I don't know how much oat groats adds to the mix, but according to the guaranteed analysis on Drs. Foster & Smith, they have 13% protein, 6% fat, and 6% fiber. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone else have this issue? If so, how to you deal with it? Do you think that substituting oat groats with plain oats would make up for them in the mix?
MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

The Oat Groat Dilemma  Empty Re: The Oat Groat Dilemma

Post by CallaLily Sun 20 Nov 2016, 5:39 pm

I had a similar issue when I bought rye berries to add to my mix. At first they seemed to ignore them, though I know they readily ate flaked rye. Eventually they got better at eating them but I did end up switching to flaked again once they were gone. Maybe tastes different or it's just harder to eat (lazy little boogers lol)?  I would think adding rolled oats would be fine.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sun 20 Nov 2016, 6:21 pm

MooMouse wrote:I feed my mouse Sunseed Vita Prima Parakeet Food, which has Oat Groats as its second ingredient. However, Rogue does not eat them. He leaves them in his bowl. But, I have figured out that if I split the groats open with my fingernails and then give them to him, he will eat the inside. I don't know how much oat groats adds to the mix, but according to the guaranteed analysis on Drs. Foster & Smith, they have 13% protein, 6% fat, and 6% fiber. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone else have this issue? If so, how to you deal with it? Do you think that substituting oat groats with plain oats would make up for them in the mix?

My girls used to do the same thing. Sometimes the "leavings" in the food dish would be 90% oat groats! I eventually substituted rolled oats and/or a 6-grain flaked blend which they ate up with no complaints.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by MooMouse Tue 22 Nov 2016, 1:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone Smile Within the next few weeks I am going to be adding increasingly larger amounts of rolled oats to his food until the amount is equivalent to the amount of oat groats in the mix. My only concern is weight gain, but I'll watch him for that closely.

MooMouse
MooMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

1st Place -- January 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down