Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A mouse dilemma

4 posters

Go down

A mouse dilemma Empty A mouse dilemma

Post by MyMouseAndMe Sat 12 Dec 2020, 11:29 am

I have two Female fancy mice at the moment. I have had many before them and after these two I don't want to get anymore. I have lost many mice to old age, tumors etc. It has become emotionally unbearable. But since mice are social creatures, and the mice are not likely to die at the same time, what do I do with the remaining mouse to keep it from being lonely? I have searched for local shelters, apparently they will take the mouse, but they would euthanize her rather than rehome her. I worry about giving her to a new owner because you never know what they will do with the mouse when she is in their care. I have faced this problem many times, I have always opted to buy more mice, but unless I plan to own mice forever, eventually I need another solution. I just want to give these two the best life I can, but I'm so worried about what will happen to the last mouse. If anyone has any advice, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
MyMouseAndMe
MyMouseAndMe

Aries Zen

Back to top Go down

A mouse dilemma Empty Re: A mouse dilemma

Post by chiroptera Sat 12 Dec 2020, 4:15 pm

The best option is to treat the remaining mouse as if she's a lone male - give her lots and lots of enrichment and lots of attention from her human family.

I wouldn't recommend surrendering a mouse at the end of her life to a shelter or giving her to a new home (unless absolutely necessary), the stress of moving would likely be severe and like you said, you can never be sure what will happen to her.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

River and MyMouseAndMe like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by M O U S E Sat 12 Dec 2020, 5:58 pm

I agree with @chiroptera that she should be given lots of enrichment and human attention. You could also try a "fake friend." This won't entirely make up for the loss of her cagemate, but it might help.
Step-By-Step Fake Friend Instructions

M O U S E
M O U S E
Sr Member
Sr Member

Taurus Creative

MyMouseAndMe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SarahAdams Sat 12 Dec 2020, 7:14 pm

chiroptera wrote:The best option is to treat the remaining mouse as if she's a lone male - give her lots and lots of enrichment and lots of attention from her human family.

I wouldn't recommend surrendering a mouse at the end of her life to a shelter or giving her to a new home (unless absolutely necessary), the stress of moving would likely be severe and like you said, you can never be sure what will happen to her.

Putting her in a shelter to die alone and frightened would never be an option for me. Much better to live out the rest of her life in her own home.

SarahAdams
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down