Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me sex/find out gender of my mice please?

+2
AnonONIagent
SanneSofie
6 posters

Go down

Help me sex/find out gender of  my mice please?  Empty Help me sex/find out gender of my mice please?

Post by SanneSofie Mon 12 Dec 2016, 1:07 pm

Hi everyone!

I am new on here and could really use your help. I attached two pictures of my young mice (that were born to a mice that also belongs to me although their birth was a complete surprise (more infor about that down here). So my quick question is: can you guys help me determine their gender? I think the beige/white one (Princesss Peach Fuzz) in the first picture is a girl. And the grey one (Ferarri) in the second picture is a boy but I am not 100% sure. Especially about the grey one.. When I compare it to the beige one in these pictures I think it's a boy but compared to other pics omn the internet I am more leaning to girl! Please help!

Help me sex/find out gender of  my mice please?  Mouse_14
Help me sex/find out gender of  my mice please?  Mouse_15

A little while ago I took on care for 3 pet store mice because I work at a Art Gallery and they purchased them as part of an art instalation. The mice were treated decently, hey were only there for a day, but no one wanted to take them in after that. Because I didn't want them to die and I love animals I took them. I gave them a nice house and took good care of them (long story about the art but I can/will explain if anyone want to know but for now I will keep it short-ish).

After only about 2 weeks since I got them, 1 of them gave birth to 2 babies. I figured she must have been pregnant before I got them because I read up a lot about mice babies and pregnancies etc. I know for sure (like 99%) that all the adult mice that I keep are female, because the artist who got them for his art got them at a good pet store and they had sexed them and written it down on the little leaflet with info about them on it. I also used the internet to sex them myself so I am pretty sure.
SanneSofie
SanneSofie

Back to top Go down

Help me sex/find out gender of  my mice please?  Empty Re: Help me sex/find out gender of my mice please?

Post by AnonONIagent Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:21 pm

The top one looks like a girl and the bottom one looks like a boy. There's no way for me to be 100% certain, but that is definitely what they look like to me.

Can you see nipples on either of them?

"Heralds of the coming doom, by cry of raven, we are drawn. This oath of war and vengeance, on blade of exalted iron sworn. With blood-anointed swords aloft, advance we into dread's dark shade. Punishment divine unleashed with hate, a wrathful storm of bolt and blade. Purge with plasma, fist, and shell; bring cleansing fire's righteous breath. For the Emperor, knights of Caliban! The Lion's anointed Angels of Death! No forgiveness. No retreat."

My current mice: Sally (PEW), Selina (Broken Black), and Olivia (Broken Tricolor)

Rainbow bridge: Molly (PEW), Lucy (Brindle), and Sarah (PEW)
AnonONIagent
AnonONIagent
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio

http://anononiagent.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Help me sex/find out gender of  my mice please?  Empty Re: Help me sex/find out gender of my mice please?

Post by scaredymouse Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:27 pm

The first one looks female to me but the second one, I'm not certain. The spacing looks female, but i don't see a vaginal opening. I really like to determine the sex of mice two ways. Of course, checking the genitals but also checking for the presence of nipples. Can you see nipples on either mouse? If you could take another set of pictures of the mice in clear containers from the bottom, it would help us be more certain.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by SanneSofie Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:45 pm

When they were less hairy I tried sexing them once as well and I think only the beige one (Peach Fuzz) had nipples. So I am pretty certain that she is a girl too. Now that they are hairier I find it hard to look for nipples! Let me see if I can get some other pictures for you guys. I'll try to do it as soon as possible.. Thanks a lot!
SanneSofie
SanneSofie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

How old are these guys? I found it easiest to sex when they were tiny babies and when they were near four weeks.

I'd say the second is also female... The difference between the distances of males and females is usually more noticeable than that, in my experience. It could be the picture, though. Pardon

This page shows the vaginal orifice so you can have a better idea of what to look for when you try to sex the mouse/take pictures again.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t45-sexing-mice
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by SanneSofie Mon 12 Dec 2016, 2:59 pm

Peachy wrote:How old are these guys?

I'd say the second is also female... The difference between the distances of males and females is usually more noticeable than that, in my experience. It could be the picture, though. Or it could be their age if they're not weaned. Pardon

This page shows the vaginal orifice so you can have a better idea of what to look for when you try to sex the mouse/take pictures again.
https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t45-sexing-mice

Thanks Peachy! The mice are about 18-20 days old! I am also thinking it might be the picture and that the second, grey one (Ferrari) is also a female. When I compare them in real life I think the distance is hardly noticable too. I am just super careful with it and want to be sure because I don't want them to breed! Anyway I will have another look myself again later and will also post some more pictures.
SanneSofie
SanneSofie

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:31 am

I'm not so sure! The second one looks male to me. At what age usually does a mouse's testicles become noticeable?

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:46 am

My boys were noticeably boys towards the end of the last week with Mom. I don't know... today that looks male to me too. Laughing Hopefully one of the other methods will be more telling.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:47 am

The first mouse just seems to have a lot less spacing than the second, plus no vaginal opening on number two, so I think he's male.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 13 Dec 2016, 2:59 pm

I swear I see a slight double-shadow (possible testicle "buds") on the grey mouse so I'm opting for male.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:26 pm

I'm leaning toward male for the second one, too. I don't see a vaginal orifice and the spacing is just a bit further...

Males need to be separated at 4 weeks. So post another picture of their bottoms at 28 days and we can take another look as see if we can be of more assistance. Also if you can also get a picture from underneath in a clear container, it would be helpful.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by SanneSofie Wed 14 Dec 2016, 6:21 am

Thanks a lot everyone! I have been checking a bit more myself and also pretty sure Ferrari (second one) is indeed male. But will post some more pics! Thanks:)
SanneSofie
SanneSofie

Back to top Go down