Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Please help With gender of mouse

3 posters

Go down

Please help With gender of mouse Empty Please help With gender of mouse

Post by fairyfingers883 Sun 23 Apr 2023, 10:48 am

Hello. My parents found a baby mouse 2 weeks ago while out gardening. They must of knocked it out of its burrow. It was tiny and ran right up to my cat so I took it inside and put it in my old hamster cage its eyes are open properly now and it can eat on its own..
I am having trouble figuring its gender. I wanated to get it a female friend if it was female. But now I am second guessing my judgement and dont want to have babies in the future. Its still really small and hard to tell + its so fluffy I cant tell if it has nipples. Its a bit skittish and not 100% comfortable with me trying to see its belly understandably. So i put it in a jar for some pics but they aren't the best photos because my phone camera is poo.
Is it better to wait and see if it develops more before commiting to getting a female just to be sure?
fairyfingers883
fairyfingers883

Back to top Go down

Please help With gender of mouse Empty Re: Please help With gender of mouse

Post by fairyfingers883 Sun 23 Apr 2023, 11:00 am

Please help With gender of mouse 20230420
Please help With gender of mouse 20230422
Please help With gender of mouse 20230421

fairyfingers883
fairyfingers883

Back to top Go down

Post by animalgirl555 Wed 26 Apr 2023, 11:17 pm

It kind of looks like a male although I could be wrong. Sexing mice this young can be pretty tricky. I think your best bet is to just wait a little bit. If it's possible, you should check if the mouse has nipples. If it does, then it's a female. Good luck! Very Happy
animalgirl555
animalgirl555

Cheeky

Back to top Go down

Post by fairyfingers883 Thu 27 Apr 2023, 1:00 am

Thank you! I did decide to not impulse buy and wait, its too fluffy under to see nipples or it is a male 😆 as of right now but I am working on taming it more and will hope to figure out the sex in time ^_^
fairyfingers883
fairyfingers883

Back to top Go down

Post by cerial Fri 28 Apr 2023, 2:54 pm

You should release it back into the garden now that it is well enough to survive.

Deer mice are not fancy mice. You can't handle them or expect them to act like fancy mice do. They can jump far and are fearless. Once it becomes comftable with you it will do things like come up to you. But it could easily run up your arm and jump off your shoulder.

After that its next to impossible to tell one deer mouse (of the same sex) from another if you manage to catch it in a live trap.

It is better now and should be released back into the garden. Maybe throw down a bit of food. But good chance it will run right off once you release it.

My deer mice were born sept 2020 so they are getting older and it is really starting to show. They have always been in a cage treated like pets. When they do go I won't be having deers as pets again.
I have a 10 gallon for wild deers that I house wild mice in when it is below 0F out. Its a overnight thing so I can release them midday when it is warmer.

I tend to release them a mile down my house in a wooded area next to a field which has a small wetland with a lot of coverage. This is atleast 3/4 mile from a house so they won't end up in a trap.

I have released them into a shed on the corner of my property. But they know where the house is. I even have a picture where a mouse has jumped in random spots on a angle making it under my deck and I imagine back into the house.
So I release them down the road so they wont be back.

It is best to release it. Back into the garden or a safe spot down the road. Midday is a good time to release as ut is often warmer and will allow them to get cover.

cerial

appalachianmousery likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down