Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more gerb questions :)

2 posters

Go down

more gerb questions :) Empty more gerb questions :)

Post by Colors Fri 06 Jan 2017, 7:48 pm

I want to get two gerbils for my birthday, but I'm still learning about them. I was wondering if gerbils can eat most outdoor seeds and plants if they've been placed in the freezer to kill parasites? I have a lot of seeds in my backyard from foxtails and other reed-like plants. I have lots of plantain (at least two types). I've read that mice can eat plantain and foxtail seeds, but I know that Gerbils come from a totally different habitat climate and probably eat totally different plants in the wild. Also, can most rodents eat pinecones if the pinecones have been soaked and frozen for a few weeks? I'm soaking five pinecones right now to get rid of some of the sap. Then I'll stick them in the freezer and keep them there until I feel like they've been totally disinfected. Smile

EDIT: I have another question, I have a grapvine basket that I got from a local Goodwill. I'm pretty sure it's safe because the only smell on it is the smell that Goodwill items usually have. I washed it and now it smells woody. It really looks natural, with those little spiral springy things that grapevines have. I just want to know if it would in any way be safe for rodents in general? (hamster, mouse, gerbils?) Thanks Smile I don't think it's treated.
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

more gerb questions :) Empty Re: more gerb questions :)

Post by Drago Mon 23 Jan 2017, 5:28 pm

I would say no to the outdoor seeds, they can carry parasites and toxins that we can't see, and as you said, what's okay for mice may not be okay for gerbs. Mice have less sensitive stomachs than gerbils so that's important to remember too. Grapevine is safe for gerbils , make sure it's been boiled AND placed in an oven to ensure all parasites and bacteria are gone. I don't know whether or not it's safe for mice, but it is safe for hamsters too. Pinecones, if frozen and disinfected, can be OKAY to give to your rodents, but should be avoided for the reasons I stated about wild seeds. You can purchase fully sterilized pinecones at pet stores, and wild bird seed mixes can be bought if you're looking for a supplemental treat for your gerbils to enjoy. Just not too much as seeds can be fatty, so limit them to 1-2 times each week. Plantains are okay to be fed to gerbils as a treat in small amounts once a week, but when it comes to all fruits with gerbils, they should be limited as it can easily cause stomach upset. I hope you get your gerbs, they're such fun to have around!

Drago

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Thu 26 Jan 2017, 6:05 am

Thanks! I guess I'll avoid pinecones, but I might stick to the wild seeds (if I get foxtails only and disinfect them). I'm still not sure if I'll be getting the gerbils, but this is great info nevertheless! Very Happy
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down