Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nibbling at his corncob bedding

3 posters

Go down

Nibbling at his corncob bedding Empty Nibbling at his corncob bedding

Post by Unicorn Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:41 pm

I got Flynn some corncob bedding to mix into the papery stuff I use for him in a bid to absorb some odors and keep my mother appeased. Oh boy! Digging and nosing ahoy.

And of course, almost immediately he decided to taste it. Sat there with a piece and nibbled, dropped it, picked up another piece, ate at that. Is he going to eat a bellyfull of it? Is it harmful? Should I take it all out? Is he smart enough to not make it a permanent new part of his diet? Should I take him to the vet? Should I do anything at all? I know that eating a bit of corn isn't necessarily going to kill him and the wild counterparts will eat soap and candles and stuff (eww), but I don't know how they make that bedding, for all I know it's going to make him dangerously constipated or something.

Has anybody else used this, and if so have you ever noticed them eating it? Were they okay? My poor sweet adorable little blockhead. Undecided
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Nibbling at his corncob bedding Empty Re: Nibbling at his corncob bedding

Post by CallaLily Sun 15 Jan 2017, 5:58 pm

I think it's ok and he's probably just really interested in it because it's new. After a while he'll probably not pay as much attention to it.  I think the only controversial thing about using corn cob bedding is the possibility of mold is higher? And some feel it's harder on little foots.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:06 pm

I have asked about this before, so I recommend reading over the responses to the topic I posted: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t949-eating-corn-cob-bedding

I ended up not using it after that one use. It didn't help with the odor at all, he ate it, and it also posed a mold/fungus risk that I didn't really feel was worth taking if it wasn't even helping with the smell.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Unicorn Sun 15 Jan 2017, 6:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. Little twerp! From now on I won't mix it in with the other stuff, I'll put a layer in the bottom, maybe even just in the corners, and cover it entirely to see if that helps. I do feel a little bit better now, at least it doesn't seem unsafe. And it's not like he didn't have fresh cabbage today and his usual lab blocks (I feed him a blend of two different kinds). I'll also make sure to clean more often so it doesn't get wet and grow mold. I think when he's done with this bag, we'll try something else! I'd rather not have it as a worry. Oh Flynn.

I just gave him a sandbox to play with for the first time but he doesn't seem to care about it, much more fun to dig in the bedding and pick out bits of corncob stuff to munch. *facepalm*
Unicorn
Unicorn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down