Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mouse bedding or Reptile bedding?

2 posters

Go down

Mouse bedding or Reptile bedding? Empty Mouse bedding or Reptile bedding?

Post by FurBabies@732 Wed 27 Nov 2019, 12:29 pm

Hi there. So if you read my last post you probably know my 3 legged mouse, pixie, is pregnant. She is in sort of a small cage for now. Pixie kept getting out of her old cage, which was the size of a 20 gallon, 2 story, wired cage. Anyway, before she gives birth I wanted her in a larger cage. At least large enough where more things can fit into her cage. The cage she is in now only has room for 1 tiny hideaway, 1 water bottle with holder (The type that doesn't hang on the cage but is the type that sits on the bedding) and her food bowl. No room for a wheel.

Continuing on.....Ive see tanks that are decked out like a forest. It has vines, dirt, and basic small animal bedding. I wanted to do this for pixie but I am unsure of the type of bedding that looks like dirt. I assume it is intended for reptiles but I want to know is it safe for a mouse and her pinkies?

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Mouse bedding or Reptile bedding? Empty Re: Mouse bedding or Reptile bedding?

Post by Robin~ Fri 29 Nov 2019, 9:20 am

I definitely wouldn’t try to use it in an entire environment, especially for a pregnant mouse. Products like Eco Earth are a bit damp to start, and when they dry, they become rather dusty, which is not good for URI-prone mice. I’d say to use paper, both due to the dust and the fact that your mouse can create a burrow if she’d like Smile

I’m a bit concerned about her space, though— please do keep in mind a single mouse should have at least 200sq in of floorspace, especially if you’ll be having more pups in there eventually. Bin cages can make for great, cost effective options Smile

hello3
Robin~
Robin~
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sagittarius Bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post by FurBabies@732 Sun 01 Dec 2019, 8:51 am

That is very true. I didn't even consider dust. Mainly because all the bedding I buy is dust free. So it didn't occur to me that reptile bedding could be different.

Also, pixie's cage is small because this is the ONLY cage she hasn't been able to escape from. I am planning on moving her to a bigger cage before the new pinkies arrive. I would just hate it if she got out again or worse, gets out again and finds her way back into my female aggressive mouse's cage and die. Right now, all I care about is insuring she doesn't escape again. Im thinking of moving her to a tank. I do have some reservations. Doing research, some say putting a new mom into an actual tank with a bunch of babies will cause her stress and harm. Meaning a tank won't ventilate as well as a wire cage. Making the cage needing to be cleaned more than usual, since pinkies need a clean environment at all times. Also mice love to climb and explore. This is why I like wire cages. But tanks are difficult for mice to escape from since they cannot climb up glass.

FurBabies@732
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down