Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Imogene's "Small" Cork Log

2 posters

Go down

Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Empty Imogene's "Small" Cork Log

Post by MesaMouse Tue 14 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

I ordered a smaller and lighter-weight cat carrier for Bochy Pussinski last week and, since Petco was offering free shipping at $29, I added a few toys for Bochy and a cork log for Imogene to reach the $29 mark. The logs were listed as 7" long by 4" wide, a nice fun size for a Syrian ham. As I have had a cork log that size for my hermit crabs for several years (also from Petco), I envisioned exactly where it would be placed in her bin and could even picture Imo running through it. The package arrived on Saturday and this is the "small" log I received:

Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Imos%20Cork%20Log%204_zpsmsgirdkf
Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Imos%20Cork%20Log%201_zps6wnql4hf
Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Imos%20Cork%20Log%202_zpsp7j0hsry
Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Imos%20Cork%20Log%203_zpsvyke6sbp

This monster is 12" long, 7" wide across the fork and 4" wide at the back. Chunky Imo may be able to go through the larger branch of the fork but there's no way she'd fit through the smaller branch so I may end up sawing off the end of the smaller branch to make a larger hole. It's an unsuitable shape for the hermit crabs, otherwise I'd swap it for theirs.

The cat carrier, a Sherpa Delta Deluxe, is exactly as advertised. It weighs only 5lbs, has mesh ends and one mesh side, a removable "sheepskin" floor mat, handles, a shoulder strap, an outside pocket for paperwork/treats, zips open from both the top and one end and was a steal at $20! I've had it sitting out with the top unzipped so Bochy can see it and perhaps sit in it before I have to unceremoniously shove her into it for a vet visit.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Imogene's "Small" Cork Log Empty Re: Imogene's "Small" Cork Log

Post by CallaLily Sat 25 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

Don't know how I missed this post!

That's cool looking cork log. Shame it has a too small branch for Imo. Sad Can I ask why it wouldn't work for your crabs? Same issue? Were you able to exchange it?

The cat carrier sounds nice!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Sat 25 Feb 2017, 6:42 pm

CallaLily wrote:Don't know how I missed this post!

That's cool looking cork log. Shame it has a too small branch for Imo. Sad  Can I ask why it wouldn't work for your crabs?  Same issue?  Were you able to exchange it?

The crabs already have a nice 7"Hx5"W cork round which I stand on end so they can climb up and nap inside (it's Big Enzo's favorite napping spot). If I put this one in their tank, only small Charles Paris would be able to fit all the way through: Mr Pinch is borderline large and Big Enzo is testing the upper limits of large.
Imogene's "Small" Cork Log 011_zpsn1tb7l7d
My usual Petco has absolutely no cork rounds in stock so I wasn't able to make an exchange. I think I'll just give it to Imo anyway and let her climb around on it and chew it -- mabe she'll chew a large enough hole to fit through Laughing .

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 07 Mar 2017, 7:19 pm

UPDATE: She fits! I did a deep-clean of the IRIS bin today and put this funky-shaped cork piece in. Imo immediately waddled over to it, sniffed it, patted it and proceeded to go in and out of all of the holes!! Guess she's not as fat as she looks or hams can "flatten" themselves like mice to get through spaces you wouldn't think they could fit in.

Also introduced Imogene to a sand bath in the 20L while I was cleaning the bin. As I had no idea how she would react to it, I simply used playsand left over from setting up the crabitat two years ago. She seemed to enjoy it as a dig pit and flung about half the sand out into the bedding but no rolling around -- she did eat a few grains, though...to Imo, like Bochy the cat, everything is possible food Laughing !

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 08 Mar 2017, 7:07 am

Yay! Glad she fits and enjoyed the sand. That's something I keep meaning to pick up for Hamtaro but always forget when I'm out. Embarassed

I like how you did the cork round for the crabs too. My cork pieces in the crabitat are falling apart from the humidity and the crabs picking. I'll need to replace them soon.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down