Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Gerbil may be pregnant?

2 posters

Go down

One Gerbil may be pregnant? Empty One Gerbil may be pregnant?

Post by Colors Tue 07 Mar 2017, 3:30 pm

I have a pair of Gerbils named Amber and Bailey, the pet store owner said that everyone in the cage were girls and that they were all sisters from the same litter. I've had both of them since Feb 7th, and I've noticed that Amber has been getting bigger around the abdomen and has been nesting a lot. Just today I was watching her sleep with Bailey and I saw something supposedly 'jab' at her side, and it kept happening, and in different areas. This isn't happening when I look at Bailey's stomach. Could this mean that Amber is pregnant and the babies are kicking?!

Another question, is it safe to keep Bailey with her if she is pregnant? Would she help take care of the babies as mice do? Thanks!

Bouncy

Last edited by Mousecheeks on Thu 09 Mar 2017, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I put the wrong date of when I purchased my gerbils. It wasn't Feb 6th)
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

One Gerbil may be pregnant? Empty Re: One Gerbil may be pregnant?

Post by Peachy Tue 07 Mar 2017, 3:51 pm

Eek! I don't have experience with gerbil babies, but I know gerbils often don't show until a few days before they're ready to give birth. If you're seeing babies moving, she's close.

It'd be best to separate the two females (or split their enclosure with a divider if it's big enough) so that the other adult doesn't harm the babies. We usually recommend separating nursing mice also, for the same reason. Sometimes adults fight over the babies, and then you end up with dead babies.

Good luck. If she has babies you've got to share pictures!! Please
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Wed 08 Mar 2017, 6:02 am

Well, I've watched videos of baby gerbils moving inside their mother, and all the females look very fat compared to my Amber. It's probably just my dream of having baby animals kicking in. Very Happy But I really hope that she is pregnant, although I have no idea who I'd give them to, and I would certainly want to keep at least two! Very Happy
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down