Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerbil

+7
AmyLynn
Blessed
Rodents rock!
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
scaredymouse
CallaLily
11 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Gerbil Empty Gerbil

Post by CallaLily Mon 30 Apr 2018, 11:16 am

So I’ve been feeling a little strange not having a rodent buddy for the last few days and I know I’ve mentioned here that I’ve been planning ahead to get a pair of gerbils. While out running errands today I stopped in to Petco just to get a cuteness fix, not really expecting to leave with anyone but they had this gerbil up for adoption. Yes. Gerbil, as in one lone boy.  So I’ve adopted him.    Ear wiggle

Turns out someone had been keeping him with a female and of course she got pregnant and had lots of babies - they relinquished most of them to Petco. They don’t usually carry gerbils so they only took him, the mother, and the babies still too young to be without mom. In another week or so they think the babies should be ready to go, so I’ll check back to see if he’s had any sons that I could adopt and try reintroducing them. They’re not 100% sure on their age but they’ve opened their eyes since being handed over to Petco and are all over the place but not eating yet. If there are no sons or if they won’t let me adopt just one (the lady said they wanted them all to go together so idk, I only have a 40 breeder), I’ll look elsewhere to adopt.

Those with gerbil experience: I’ve done the research and read up on how to intro properly (split tank) but any tips are welcome. From all I’ve read I’m kind of nervous about it.

He’s quite happily exploring his tank. Enjoying the deeper substrate and the sand bath a lot. Eating already. Because he seems so chill about his move, I managed to snap a couple pics already. Oh and they said he’s probably roughly about a year old.

Gerbil 34ed1a10
Gerbil Aa671c10

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Gerbil Empty Re: Gerbil

Post by scaredymouse Mon 30 Apr 2018, 1:39 pm

i love him!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

I love gerbils so much, even though I've never seen one in person! They look so crazy and energetic from the videos I've seen.

He is soooooo cute! Does he have a name? Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:43 pm

Omgosh he has so much energy. In no time he rearranged all the bedding in the tank and moved things around. I understand now why so many gerbil tank pictures I’ve seen just look like a heap of bedding. Laughing

I had a few names in mind for when I got gerbils but I’m not sure any of them fit. I’m going to give it a few days and if they still don’t work I’ll try to come up with something else. The name his previous owners gave him was Mitch but between me not really liking the name and my husband thinking he’s funny rhyming with it, I’m definitely changing it. Suggestions are welcome. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Mon 30 Apr 2018, 10:52 pm

Cute! Gerbils are so much fun.

Tank rearranging is like their only hobby. Laughing I often hid boxes and stuff at the bottom of their cage under all the bedding, by the time it was cleaning time there were hardly even traces of those boxes because they were so well-shredded. Such a hoot! Also why many gerbil parents utilize toppers for essentials. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 01 May 2018, 8:03 am

Laughing yeah I put most of the hides and stuff under the bedding, and sloped it so the wheel wouldn’t be buried but he leveled it out. There’s a diy cardboard platform for up above the substrate with a cardboard toy and wood chew on top. I do plan to put my 36*18 exo terra on top and build taller platforms to give him lots of height and allow for the 40b to be mostly filled with bedding. But I need to pick up a few more things first. Though he has a decent amount, I didn’t give him the full amount of bedding I will normally give him just because it makes it easier to make sure he’s adjusting well and healthy. And I’ll probably go ahead and wait until I adopt a buddy for him and go through introductions.

He doesn’t seem to get the wheel. I’m not sure if he’s never had one or if he’s just one of those gerbils who isn’t interested. Pardon

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 02 May 2018, 8:56 am

I think I’m leaning towards the name Varric. Still not 100% yet. I don’t know what my problem is. It’s usually very easy for me to choose names.

Some pics from this morning.
Gerbil A3c7c110
Gerbil Cc1cb310

He’s been coming up and sniffing my hand and phone. He still a tiny bit nervous but I think he must have been handled a decent amount in his previous home. Hopefully we’ll be buddies in no time.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 03 May 2018, 8:57 am

As much as I wanted to use one of the 3 names I had planned, none of them worked. Varric almost but it just didn’t seem to fit. So I dug up some other related names and I’ve decided on Oghren!  When I go back to see if he had any sons that I can adopt, I’ll see if those names fit any better for them. Depending on the number of sons, if they’ll allow them to split up, etc. of course - I’m hoping for adopting two.  I’ve read that older males tend to do great being intro’d to babies, this way the brothers would have each other when their papa passes, and I’m fairly confident the 40 breeder is large enough (especially when I add the topper) - so fingers crossed.  Those with gerbil experience please let me know if I’m wrong on any of that. I’m still learning so all help and advice would be appreciated!

Pics of Oghren from this morning:
Gerbil 547c1610
Gerbil F2435e10
Gerbil 57d23e10
Gerbil C8374510

And let me know if my gerbil spam is getting annoying. Giddy

Edited: I’m so glad I decided to pop in to Petco that day and that he was up for adoption! I didn’t realize what a funk I’ve been in since Eulyn’s health started declining. Nothing can replace my meecers of course, but Oghren is certainly cheering me up. I’ve read that gerbils live 3-4 years on average. I’m hoping that’s true and that it’ll be a little easier on my heart during my mousey break.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 04 May 2018, 10:32 pm

Your plan for introing sounds correct, but I'd keep in mind that split colonies are more likely to happen with more than two gerbils. I've heard that males are easier than females, though. Smile

He's too cute! No such as thing as too much. Giggle
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 07 May 2018, 2:09 pm

So I stopped back in today and Oghren has 2 sons!  So of course I adopted them both. This time there was a “donation fee” of $4 (they didn’t charge one for Oghren).  So they’re home and in quarantine. Once that’s up I’ll start the split cage intros and hopefully all goes well.

I’m pretty sure Oghren is agouti?  One of the sons looks pretty much the same, just a tad lighter. The other is black with the cutest white spots on his paws and chin. Pics here on instagram.  Sorry, I don’t have times to fuss with resizing for the forum.

They're super cute and seem less shy about hands than their papa. I’m guessing the store employees handled them frequently or at least were in the cage a lot.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 07 May 2018, 4:30 pm

CallaLily wrote:So I stopped back in today and Oghren has 2 sons!  So of course I adopted them both. This time there was a “donation fee” of $4 (they didn’t charge one for Oghren).  So they’re home and in quarantine. Once that’s up I’ll start the split cage intros and hopefully all goes well.

I’m pretty sure Oghren is agouti?  One of the sons looks pretty much the same, just a tad lighter. The other is black with the cutest white spots on his paws and chin. Pics here on instagram.  Sorry, I don’t have times to fuss with resizing for the forum.

They're super cute and seem less shy about hands than their papa. I’m guessing the store employees handled them frequently or at least were in the cage a lot.
They are adorable! Any ideas for names yet?

You got them from Petco? Petco does charge a donation fee, but it is actually what the name implies. I'm pretty sure the fee goes to their "Petco Foundation" which helps animals in several different ways. They adjust the fee according to what animal you are adopting. They only charged me a $2 fee for Jack, since he's a mouse. I think my hamsters were $4-5. I don't have a problem with it since it's helping other animals!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 07 May 2018, 9:14 pm

Thank you. I have a few name ideas. We'll see if any fit. Smile

I don’t mind the donation fee. Daryl had a $2 donation fee and it was $2 each for the baby gerbils. I was surprised when they gave me Oghren for nothing. I think they were worried about finding a home for a lone, adult gerbil. Maybe?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 08 May 2018, 5:56 pm

Ok. I think these names fit. Ear wiggle

Gerbil 54f92210
Gerbil 06cfe710

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 10 May 2018, 8:39 am

A friend asked if I knew how old the babies are. I did some reading and from what I’ve found baby gerbils open their eyes at around 3 weeks. So based on what the employees were telling me that day I adopted Oghren, the babies were most likely around 4-5 weeks old when I adopted them.  Which from my reading is a touch early for gerbils?  They seem to be doing alright. Emrys was 28 grams when I weighed them the day before yesterday and Merin was 25 grams. For comparison, Oghren is 92 grams.

Emrys and Merin pics here, here, and here.
Pics of Oghren moving bedding around here.
And I forgot to share this pic of how Oghren uses his wheel.  Laughing

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 16 May 2018, 8:25 am

So I broke quarantine 2 weeks early. I know it’s a risk but the more I read, the more it sounds like the older the babies get the less likely Oghren is to accept them. They all seem healthy and happy, so hopefully I didn’t just mess things up by spreading an unseen illness. (Oghren has technically been in quarantine for 2 weeks, the babies only a little over 1 week)

So they’re in the 40g - divided of course. My husband made a divider with wood framing and metal hardware cloth that fits into the tank very snugly. The babies are super curious and come over to sniff Oghren through the mesh. Oghren however seems pretty territorial and at first was sort of lunging at the mesh, biting it, and trying to dig under it (impossible). He was also throwing up a lot of bedding - which is also territorial behavior? But he’s seems to be settling down some now. Going about some more normal activities. I have a feeling this is going to be a long introduction. We’re only on the first hour so I’m hoping it’s too early to judge his reaction.

Still open to any advice or tips. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next