Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bamboo nesting material?

4 posters

Go down

Bamboo nesting material? Empty Bamboo nesting material?

Post by Sigildoe Tue 04 Apr 2017, 9:49 pm

So when researching supplies for my mice I found this

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/small-animal/kaytee-natural-bamboo-nesting-dye-free-alternative

I know that Cotton and cotton-like materials are bad or mice for many reason and should be avoided. But I was curious about the bamboo material. it looks so soft and inviting and looks a little better than toilet paper, but i care more about my mice's safety and happiness than looks. So I wanted to see what you guys thought and to see if anyone else had used it before without any issues?
Sigildoe
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Bamboo nesting material? Empty Re: Bamboo nesting material?

Post by scaredymouse Tue 04 Apr 2017, 10:47 pm

I don't know for certain if bamboo poses the same risks as cotton but I wouldn't take the chance. Perhaps someone else has a definitive answer...i feel like this question came to a few years ago on the other forum and the answer was that it was not safe. I would be wary of it. It looks like something that tiny toes could get tangled up in.

Mice really, really like toilet paper. And I always put up a nice, soft fleece hammock to snuggle in. I would say better safe than sorry and skip the bamboo fluff.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 05 Apr 2017, 7:39 am

I've seen another type of fluffy bedding (kapok, I think) brought up on another forum and most agreed that it was not worth the risk. I'm with Scaredy on this. I wouldn't risk it. We know unscented toilet paper and tissues are safe. I would just stick to those.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 05 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

I would avoid it personally. I've found that Colin likes small squares of fleece mixed in with his paper nesting materials which can make it look more soft and inviting to us humans (but more paper than fleece!).

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigildoe Wed 05 Apr 2017, 8:52 am

Thanks guys! I suppose if tissue is enough for the mice it's enough to for me! I'll spoil them in other ways.
Sigildoe
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down