Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dove, beige, or lilac?

4 posters

Go down

Dove, beige, or lilac? Empty Dove, beige, or lilac?

Post by masonbee Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm

Hey there! I've been trying to figure out exactly what to call my girl Bridget's color. She's definitely agouti, and I've been leaning towards calling her dove. What do you guys think?
(pardon the picture quality, she's hard to get to stand still!)
Dove, beige, or lilac? Img_0616
Dove, beige, or lilac? Img_0617

Bridget and Judith are my sweet Virgo rescue girls Love
masonbee
masonbee

Cancer Busy

https://thethingfromthething.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Dove, beige, or lilac? Empty Re: Dove, beige, or lilac?

Post by scaredymouse Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

I would say champagne, she also looks really shiny in the first pic... So from what I can see in the first pic... Satin Champagne.

The second picture looks entirely different! I think it's just the lighting though...

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by masonbee Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:08 pm

scaredymouse wrote:I would say champagne, she also looks really shiny in the first pic... So from what I can see in the first pic... Satin Champagne.

The second picture looks entirely different!  I think it's just the lighting though...

Yeah! Her coat looks totally different in different lighting! Usually it looks like a warm grey, which is why I'd tended toward dove. LIke this picture, she definitely seems more grey, I think.
(Also she loves spaghetti it's adorable)
Dove, beige, or lilac? Img_0410

masonbee
masonbee

Cancer Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:06 pm

What color are her eyes? And can you try for a picture in more natural lighting?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by masonbee Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:40 pm

CallaLily wrote:What color are her eyes?  And can you try for a picture in more natural lighting?

They're black, otherwise I'd think she was champagne.
Heres a better picture. Also, don't worry they're not in this cage anymore, it was the one they were rescued in.
Dove, beige, or lilac? Img_0210

masonbee
masonbee

Cancer Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 06 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

Ok so then not champange or lilac (U.S.).  I vote Dove (U.S.).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 06 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

What do you mean she's definitely agouti? Does she have ticking?

None of those pictures show the same shade of color! Mice can be so hard to identify. Laughing But my guess would be dove or beige, too... In the last couple pictures I think she looks a little too blue/dark to be beige, but shades and quality can vary so much.  Our variety page's dove is a lighter shade of gray than the one on AFRMA's page. We also have a "coffee" variety that's the same as beige genetically, but it shows a little darker.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by masonbee Fri 07 Apr 2017, 12:21 am

Peachy wrote:What do you mean she's definitely agouti? Does she have ticking?

None of those pictures show the same shade of color! Mice can be so hard to identify. Laughing But my guess would be dove or beige, too... In the last couple pictures I think she looks a little too blue/dark to be beige, but shades and quality can vary so much.  Our variety page's dove is a lighter shade of gray than the one on AFRMA's page. We also have a "coffee" variety that's the same as beige genetically, but it shows a little darker.

Mostly I was referring to her ticking! It's very pronounced and very pretty. I'm very new to mice, let alone color and breeding! Laughing

Right? She looks so different in every light, it's so hard to tell! Let alone compare to a bunch of different websites examples.
I suppose I won't know for sure unless I end up breeding her, since any info about her parents is lost ):

masonbee
masonbee

Cancer Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 07 Apr 2017, 2:11 am

Does she have a dark undercoat, too? The ticking could point to a different variety or simply be an indication of a "poor" coat... pet shop mice sometimes have a bit of sootiness, just 'cause they weren't bred to "show standards." That's also why it's so hard to guess at what she might be!

We don't often support breeding mice from pet shop backgrounds before you've gotten a firm grasp of genetics and husbandry... but you're right that you probably won't know for sure unless you breed... and even then you'd likely to have to raise at least 2-3 litters before you could guess at (with any certainty) what her genetics might be.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 07 Apr 2017, 7:05 am

I didn't see the ticking in any of the photos. That could change the answer. Can you try for more pics to pick it up? Maybe by a sunny window?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down