Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Guess what i got tonight!!!

+4
PastelMouse
scaredymouse
MooMouse
Rodents rock!
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Guess what i got tonight!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Guess what i got tonight!!!

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:I have a hamster question I'm hoping some one can answer for me. Can I give some of the Parakeet food to my hamster, that I give my mouse? I'm thinking it would be okay, so he would have a bit more variety, but I wanted to make sure first. Thanks!

As a base I would say check all the ingredients for safety first, but if you could post the specific food I can see what I can find out about it.

It's the Vitasmart Parakeet food. Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:21 pm

It would work as a treat, but I'd only feed it a few times a week max. For variety in my ham food I use Vitakraft Vitasmart for hams.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:25 pm

River wrote:The protein on Vitasmart parakeet is too low for a hamster if you consider it for a whole diet. Adding to your current mix might alter the protein and fat at a level you can't calculate...as a treat it should work. Correct me if I'm wrong, though! I am less experienced in hamsters than others here.

I was just thinking of using it for a treat, not as his main diet.
For his main diet, I'm giving him the Oxbow Essentials Hamster & Gerbil Food, as that is what they were feeding the Winter White Hamsters at PETsMART where I got Cam.
Also put a millet spray in his bin and he loves that!

Last edited by Rodents rock! on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:27 pm

PastelMouse wrote:It would work as a treat, but I'd only feed it a few times a week max. For variety in my ham food I use Vitakraft Vitasmart for hams.

Ok thanks, I will see about getting some of the Vitakraft Vitasmart for hams and give that a try. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:29 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:
PastelMouse wrote:It would work as a treat, but I'd only feed it a few times a week max. For variety in my ham food I use Vitakraft Vitasmart for hams.

Ok thanks, I will see about getting some of the Vitakraft Vitasmart for hams and give that a try. Very Happy

I also use oxbow, and I recommend using protein supplements a few times a week since oxbow is sort of low protein. I used mealworms a few times a week for my syrian, but if you don't like bugs I've used purebites turkey and chicken cat treats. (They are just freeze dried chicken and turkey packs.)

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:

I also use oxbow, and I recommend using protein supplements a few times a week since oxbow is sort of low protein. I used mealworms a few times a week for my syrian, but if you don't like bugs I've used purebites turkey and chicken cat treats. (They are just freeze dried chicken and turkey packs.)
I got some of those Purebites and they weren't cheap, but I thought "Well, it's worth it if he's going to like it", and my hamster won't touch them. The mice aren't very interested either Shake head

Just keep in mind that they are pretty expensive. I paid about $5 for a tiny bag, and they won't eat them. My hammy eats that mix I mentioned, Higgins Sunburst + Mazuri, and he loves it.

Guess what i got tonight!!! - Page 2 Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:18 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:

Do you use live or freeze dried mealworms?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 25 Apr 2017, 11:21 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:
PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:

I got some of those Purebites and they weren't cheap, but I thought "Well, it's worth it if he's going to like it", and my hamster won't touch them. The mice aren't very interested either Shake head

Just keep in mind that they are pretty expensive. I paid about $5 for a tiny bag, and they won't eat them. My hammy eats that mix I mentioned, Higgins Sunburst + Mazuri, and he loves it.

I will look for the Higgins Sunburst + Mazur, thanks. I had gotten the Oxbow since that was what he was used to at the pet shop and I didn't want to risk him getting an upset tummy by changing his food abruptly and I figured Oxbow was a pretty good brand.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:06 am

Rodents rock! wrote:Do you use live or freeze dried mealworms?

I use freeze dried. Live bugs aren't recommended for small pets because, and this mostly applies to hams, they can bite their cheek pouches.

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:I got some of those Purebites and they weren't cheap, but I thought "Well, it's worth it if he's going to like it", and my hamster won't touch them. The mice aren't very interested either Shake head

I forgot that, I haven't used em in a while. I've actually debated using that mix instead, what ratio do you use with the bags?

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:15 am

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:

Just keep in mind that they are pretty expensive. I paid about $5 for a tiny bag, and they won't eat them.

I also tried these and freeze dried shrimp to boost protein. Hamtaro seemed to eat them at first but then started snubbing them after just a short while. Now that she's a little older, I don't feel she needs the extra boost anymore - there's already freeze dried mealworms in her mix, bumping it up to an acceptable % protein.  However, my mice love both the chicken and the shrimp. Go figure.  A few of the cats go crazy for them too. Not to mention I always have the crabs to fall back on. They're not at all picky.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:37 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:Do you use live or freeze dried mealworms?

I use freeze dried. Live bugs aren't recommended for small pets because, and this mostly applies to hams, they can bite their cheek pouches.

Ok, that is good to know, thanks! Because I would rather get freeze dried Very Happy

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:I got some of those Purebites and they weren't cheap, but I thought "Well, it's worth it if he's going to like it", and my hamster won't touch them. The mice aren't very interested either Shake head

I forgot that, I haven't used em in a while. I've actually debated using that mix instead, what ratio do you use with the bags?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:42 pm

PastelMouse wrote:

See, that's what makes it such an easy mix, you literally just dump the bags together and you're done. A 2lb bag of Mazuri and a 2.5lb bag of Higgins. Thumbs Up

Guess what i got tonight!!! - Page 2 Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm

Should I leave Cam's sand bath in his bin all the time or just for short periods of time?
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by PastelMouse Sat 29 Apr 2017, 10:42 am

Rodents rock! wrote:Should I leave Cam's sand bath in his bin all the time or just for short periods of time?

I keep my sand bath in all the time. Mine is fairly large, so Tilly uses a section of it to go to the bathroom and the rest to bathe occasionally. If you can potty train your ham it will make your bedding last a lot longer and keep it clean.

Also another hamster tip- because you can't bathe them in water, try cleaning your ham with a dry paper towel. It gets off any sand or food crumbs, and it helps if they have any pee stink on em. Also works with mice, I presume.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:31 pm

PastelMouse wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:Should I leave Cam's sand bath in his bin all the time or just for short periods of time?

I keep my sand bath in all the time. Mine is fairly large, so Tilly uses a section of it to go to the bathroom and the rest to bathe occasionally. If you can potty train your ham it will make your bedding last a lot longer and keep it clean.

Also another hamster tip- because you can't bathe them in water, try cleaning your ham with a dry paper towel. It gets off any sand or food crumbs, and it helps if they have any pee stink on em. Also works with mice, I presume.

Thank you Pastel. Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2