Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CLEANING QUESTION!

+4
CanadianExport
Rodents rock!
River
Sigildoe
8 posters

Go down

CLEANING QUESTION! Empty CLEANING QUESTION!

Post by Sigildoe Thu 27 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

Hello guys! its been a while. My mice are doing well! But I do have a question. I have a saucer wheel for them and they love it. especially Tavi. But they do poop on it quite frequently and then run over that, causing build up. What is the best way to clean that and keep my babies safe and healthy?
Sigildoe
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

CLEANING QUESTION! Empty Re: CLEANING QUESTION!

Post by River Thu 27 Apr 2017, 5:10 pm

My girls did that when they were young! They stopped eventually. I used antibacterial soap and rinsed thoroughly, wiping it all off with a few napkins. You can also use diluted white vinegar.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 27 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

I use hot water to clean tank accessories as I don't like using any types of soap, but that's just me. I use a wet paper towel to scrub off any poops, but it comes off easy with the hot water. Then I dry with a paper towel.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Thu 27 Apr 2017, 9:18 pm

I got a kitchen scrubber brush that was only for mouse toys. That was the best thing i found to clean it, I also cleaned their wheel once a day when they were young in order to make the poops easier to get off. I used normal kitchen soap on the plastic wheels and rinsed them off really well. But really the thing that made it the easiest was the scrubby brush i got from the dollar store.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:43 pm

I usually run hot water over the wheels for a bit to loosen any stuck on poo if it's bad, then scrub with dawn dish soap, rinse well, and dry. I clean all their washable toys this way. The tank I usually clean with diluted white vinegar.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Thu 27 Apr 2017, 10:46 pm

My mice never leave a spot on their saucer wheel, for some reason my girls are really clean with their saucer wheel. However, mesh wheels always get dirty, and what I do with those is take them outside and spray them down really good with the hose, then bring them back inside and dry them off. Sometimes I'll use a little dish soap too.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 28 Apr 2017, 1:28 am

I have a special scrubby sponge for my critters but for nooks and crannies, I use an old toothbrush. Works great! I have one tank of females who are total slobs. The are so messy. After a couple days, everything is caked with poop. There is even poops stuck to the glass. Gross. These girls are lucky they are cute.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by GGMouseCare Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:40 am

What are the best ways to eliminate odor? Ive tried a few....
GGMouseCare
GGMouseCare

Virgo Sleepy

https://GGMouseCare.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 28 Apr 2017, 11:00 am

I spot clean regularly. Just scoop out any wet bedding and toss it -- keeps my girls virtually smell free.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 28 Apr 2017, 3:28 pm

Spot cleaning any wet bedding daily or every other day. Wash the wheels often - I find this is where most smells are between weekly full cleans.

I think some members run an air purifier in the mouse room or try to keep a window cracked in that room for a little airflow (no direct breeze on the mice).

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Fri 28 Apr 2017, 3:48 pm

HEPA air filters are great and safe for most, if not all, animals. They clear the air wonderfully, especially if you have a lot of animals and/or animals that might cause allergies or asthma attacks. I don't know what they're doing for smell, but my animals don't smell much at all so I'd say its doing something.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Fri 28 Apr 2017, 10:03 pm

The smells from my girls' cage was always their wheel. That is what caused almost all of the smell between cleanings.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sigildoe Wed 03 May 2017, 5:43 pm

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! our apartments water heater runs super hot so it was a breeze getting most of the gunk off, then some paper towels for the stubborn bits! i might look for a filter too. we have quite a few pets and spring allergies have really been hitting us.
Sigildoe
Sigildoe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Pokemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down