Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cleaning Empty Cleaning

Post by theo1231231 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 1:33 pm

I was wondering if people use special soap to wash your hands before/after handling mice.
The hand wash we have smells like cola bottles, probably lots of weird chemicals in there, not sure if it would be harmful to my mice or not.

Also, what do you use to wipe surfaces clean before/after mice go on them (like on your table).

One more thing, Im wondering if I need any special chemicals or anything (thats mouse friendly) to clean my carpet before I let them roam around on my floor. Its all mouse-proof, nowhere they can escape or anything and Id be watching them all the time their on the floor.

Cheers,

Theo Sparks.
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

http://theosanimations.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Cleaning Empty Re: Cleaning

Post by CanadianExport Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:38 pm

I just use regular hand soap before and after, nothing super smelly but I imagine if there was a strong smell it could bother the mice some.

Whenever I do play time for the mice on my table or desk I always put down one of my old towels. That way when they pee and poop it is super easy to clean and contain cause I all I have to do is shake the towel outside and then wash it in the washing machine.

I am afraid I cannot answer about the carpet as I have never let them run around on my floor as it would be WAY too difficult to mouse proof.

Hope this helps some.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:50 pm

Heya thanks for that.
Yeah my room ks oretty small and theres only 1 place they can escape which I block off with wood.

And also I was just thinking it would be easier to wipe the table after theyve been on it.
So I assume cleaning it with hot water and soap would be fine for that?

theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:53 pm

I just use regular Dawn dish soap to wash my hands before handling the mice. Any unscented soap should do.

My mice have playtime in a designated bin which I clean the same as the tank, with diluted white vinegar.

No idea about carpet. It'd probably be a good idea to put down a towel or old blanket.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:54 pm

I would think so, just use unscented dish soap or something similar. Just make sure there is no soap residue on it when they run on it and it should be good.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:56 pm

Cool thanks for the info.

Any ideas about cleaning the carpet then?
Ive hoovered it really well, but Im not sure if it needs deeper cleaning to not be harmful to them?
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Mon 17 Oct 2016, 4:59 pm

I honestly am not sure about carpet. I would probably just go with Callalily's idea of putting down an old sheet, towel, or blanket because my concern is that mice pee and poop everywhere and it could get kinda gross and hard to clean and with the drop cloth it would do two jobs of keeping your mice safe potential contaminants and keeping your carpet clean.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Wed 19 Oct 2016, 7:19 am

Okay thanks allot guys for all your help.

I took back that cleaning product to the shop today, and I also tried to take my my woos shavings because I thought it was sawdust which is bad for their breathing. However they told me that its wood shavings and has no dust so it fine to use.

One more thing, can anyone recommend any natural cleaning products for mice? just something universal so I can wipe down my surfaces and maybe clean the cage if it needs a good clean (otherwise Il use vinegar and water).
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 19 Oct 2016, 7:29 am

What type of wood?  Aspen is ok.  Cedar is not.  Though all types of wood come with some risk of allergies developing.

More bedding info here: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t36-cleaning-odor-and-bedding.

If I'm not using diluted vinegar for cleaning, I use dish soap.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:15 am

You can use wood shavings, but paper based bedding a are much better for mice. It's softer on them, they can burrow in it, and it's much less allergenic. They even come in fun colors!

I recommend antibacterial soap for cleaning tanks.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by theo1231231 Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:20 am

Okay... Dang it now I have to go back to the shop again... thanks guys for letting me know. I will use paper and anti-bacterial soap.
theo1231231
theo1231231

Pisces Procrastinating

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 19 Oct 2016, 8:42 am

I personally think antibacterial soap is a bit overkill. Too much of a "good" thing. I'd rather stick to regular ol' soap. JMO. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Wed 19 Oct 2016, 9:09 am

I think with bedding it is often times a personal choice. My mice and I both loved the wood shavings I used because they didn't pack down as hard and could be burrowed in. Unfortunately I have recently discovered that Ori is allergic to them which is a risk. The other three are just fine. As long as there is no dust and it is listed on the safe bedding page whatever you use is just fine Theo1231231. But that is my opinion.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 19 Oct 2016, 9:13 am

I agree, though I do recommend you pay attention to what type of wood. If the package doesn't say, I would skip it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CanadianExport Wed 19 Oct 2016, 9:15 am

Ah yes, sorry should have specified ;-p. I have found that sometimes even if the bag doesn't say specifically the manufacturer website will. Not sure why they do that but most will list what is included.
CanadianExport
CanadianExport
Sr Member
Sr Member

Libra Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next