Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can Gerbils have Baking Soda??

2 posters

Go down

Can Gerbils have Baking Soda?? Empty Can Gerbils have Baking Soda??

Post by Colors Sat 29 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

I know, super strange question. But I've been reading about drinking baking soda for humans, so can gerbils have it too? I read that it can keep you from getting sick because it makes your body alkaline. This could be dangerous to gerbils, so I made sure to ask before giving it to them. I'd put some in their water every few weeks as a supplement.

By the way, I actually cured my gerbil of a serious respiratory infection in three days by putting oregano in the bottom of her tank. She's completely healthy now! I was so scared that she would get worse because we can't take our small animals to the vet. So if you get a sick animal with a respiratory infection and can't take it to the vet, put a heating pad on the side (because they become really cold and thin), and sprinkle some oregano on the bottom of the tank. I'm not sure if it's safe to ingest... could you guys give me a reply on that?

Thanks everyone! Oh and I moved my gerbils to paper based bedding for extra caution. Wink
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Can Gerbils have Baking Soda?? Empty Re: Can Gerbils have Baking Soda??

Post by PastelMouse Sun 30 Apr 2017, 10:20 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. If your gerbils aren't sick I don't think you should risk it. Although I don't think it would hurt your gerbil, per say, it may make them feel sick which would be counter-intuitive to your point.

Also I would advise against putting things in an animals water supply. If they detect a weird taste, they may stop drinking. 

I never knew about that oregano thing- that's kinda cool.

Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down