Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

brown goop in ears?

3 posters

Go down

brown goop in ears? Empty brown goop in ears?

Post by klobie Tue 02 May 2017, 1:07 pm

I have a single male mouse currently who will be 3 years old in September and is a healthy, spunky little dude (his name is Whipped Cream because he's light brown with a white dollop on his head but we mostly call him Creamie). Yesterday he emerged from his little house in his cage where he makes his little comfy burrow bed sleepy spot and he had this brown goop in his left ear. It's definitely not poop so don't even suggest that. I can identify poop and that's not what it is. It doesn't look red either like blood, and I don't see any cut or anything where blood would come out of. it's like a molasses color almost, that's the best way to describe the color and actually also the consistency but it was hardened crustified molasses. I attempted to see if it was something I could wipe out of his ear real quick and did get most of it but it was like crusty brown goop not a solid but not like a liquid oozing or anything. Sorry for the detailed description but, you know. He cleaned the rest of his ear flap on his own, of course, but he still has a little bit inside his ear hole that I guess he can't reach and I was wondering if this is something you guys think A) I should try to clean the rest little bit out myself, B) freak out and rush him to a vet, or C) the tried and true option of doing nothing and letting the situation resolve itself naturally. This is something I would do for like minor issues like once two male mice I attempted to introduce fought and one drew blood on the other (actually, Creamie was the biter) and the wound was very small and because mice clean wounds by grooming them and that's how they heal small wounds like that according to something I read, the little guy did his job, licked it up, and he was totally better in like two or three days. So I don't know if this is a situation like that or one where I need to do something myself to help him or take him to the vet because it's like life-or-death serious. So if anyone has experience with something similar or knowledge in this particular area I would appreciate it. I tried doing my own research just googling stuff but that was impossible. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

klobie

Back to top Go down

brown goop in ears? Empty Re: brown goop in ears?

Post by klobie Tue 02 May 2017, 1:08 pm

Oh, I also want to mention that his cage is clean but I still checked his bedding where he sleeps and around the whole cage which was easy to do because it's all white fluffy and normal except for the snacks he hides places, but that's not where he sleeps.

klobie

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 02 May 2017, 1:25 pm

I can't really say with any certainty but my guess would be an ear infection or ear mites. In which case a vet visit would be a good idea.

Around 32 months old, that's awesome! Cool

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 02 May 2017, 1:37 pm

Ok, few things.  Three years old is extraordinarily old for a mouse!  Males should never, ever be house together because they can and will fight to the death.  I don't think you have a freak out, rush to the vet situation just yet.  I've never seen what you are describing in a mouse before but I have seen the exact same thing in cats... So I'm inclined to think that it is a similar problem of overproduction of ear gunk, although what toy describe also sounds like it could be ear mites... But in would expect other symptoms.

Does your mouse have any other symptoms?  Head tilt, unsteadiness, circling, scratching at the ear?  If not, I would try to clean it out as best you can and watch it closely for a couple days.  If it returns, I would go to the vet, I'm sure they want to prescribe ear drops, either antibiotics, mite treatment, or something to lubricate the ear canal so it can comes out easier.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down