Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is my mouse sick?

4 posters

Go down

Is my mouse sick? Empty Is my mouse sick?

Post by Meepers124 Thu 29 Jun 2017, 10:04 pm

Hi
So I just got my mouse 4 days ago, And she seams to be breathing heavy, has fuzzy fur, and hunchs over when sleeping. Is this normal behavior? Do I need to take her to the vet immediately?
Other than the symptoms I previously mention she seams fine. She is active, eating and drinking.

Thank you so much for all your help. please let me know if I left any important information out.

Meepers124

Back to top Go down

Is my mouse sick? Empty Re: Is my mouse sick?

Post by scaredymouse Sat 01 Jul 2017, 6:47 am

It's hard to say based on your description.  She could be breathing heavy because she's nervous and in a new environment.  Are you able to post a video or at least a photo of her?  It help us tell if she seems sick.

does she make any noises when she breathes?  Also, is she living alone?  Female mice are social animals and need 1-2 friends to be happy.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Meepers124 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

Unfortunately she was the only mouse for sale, so yes she is alone. I plan on getting her a friend as soon as I can, and take the proper precautions when introducing them to each other. I can post a video I have of her just I am not sure how to do so. Can let me know how? Also she is not makeing any noises

Meepers124

Back to top Go down

Post by Meepers124 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:23 am

I DID IT! Here is a video of here sleeping.

Meepers124

Back to top Go down

Is my mouse sick? Empty i would go

Post by peas Sat 01 Jul 2017, 3:30 pm

to the vet to be safe, but find one with experience with mice or small mammals

the basic prescription for sick mice is baytril and/or doxycycline, i make sure to get both when i go to the vet now because if one doesn't work you will need to add the other anyways,  most vets will give you a prescription for both if you ask as some mice develop infections frequently and many have a fungus inside them that can get out of hand if they become too stressed etc.

She may just be depressed but depression often leads to bad outcomes anyways and if you get the doxy and baytril now anyways, you will need it in the future for her or her friends anyways.  Make sure the vets give you a few treatments.  

With mice they can go downhill really fast, so it's usually better to be safe than sorry and it's always good to have a bottle of baytril or doxy or both in the cupboard.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Meepers124 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 7:04 pm

okay thank you so much for your help.

Meepers124

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 01 Jul 2017, 7:33 pm

Please keep us posted on what the vet says. I hope she is ok. She sure is adorable and looks like a sweetheart!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down