Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New mouse owner here with a few questions!

4 posters

Go down

New mouse owner here with a few questions! Empty New mouse owner here with a few questions!

Post by mallowolf Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:26 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Sara and I became a mouse parent a few days ago. Here's a bit of backstory:

I have owned rodents almost my entire life. I've had rats, dwarf hamsters, and Syrian hamsters. My most recent was a Syrian hamster named Timon (RIP lil' buddy) who had unfortunately passed away due to old age. I was heartbroken. I really didn't think I wanted a new small animal after him. I disinfected all of his stuff and moved it all to the basement.

Well, the other day I went to my local Petco for some fish food (they are actually pretty knowledgeable at my local store) and I happened to look at the small animals. I was just looking and nothing really caught my eye. That was until I saw this little mouse! He was in a cage with a few others, but he was by far the cutest (in my opinion of course!). I watched him for a while and decided that I couldn't leave that little guy there. I know a good amount about rodents and a bit about mice (I knew that since he was a boy he'd be living by himself). Now, I just want to say that I ALWAYS research an animal before I get one, but this time was a bit different. I picked out a bunch of toys and food for him and signed his adoption papers (he was a manager's special on sale for $5 too!). I brought him home and set up my old Syrian's 30 gallon breeder tank. He seemed really curious and enjoyed exploring his new digs (and I really enjoy watching him).

I do have a few questions though! I now realize that starting a mouse off in a smaller cage will help with taming them. I'm not used to this idea because with hamsters it's always better to go bigger. Should I go out and buy a 10 gallon tank? Then when he's used to me should I move him back to his 30 gallon? I also got him the smallest size flying saucer (5 inch I think?) should I upgrade him to the next size? I also want to get him a mesh wheel as well. What size do you guys recommend for those?

I just want what's best for my new little guy (he still needs a name, so suggestions are welcome)!

Here he is!

New mouse owner here with a few questions! 20170914
New mouse owner here with a few questions! 20170915

Last edited by mallowolf on Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mallowolf
mallowolf

Back to top Go down

New mouse owner here with a few questions! Empty Re: New mouse owner here with a few questions!

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 27 Sep 2017, 5:50 pm

Welcome to the forum! Your little guy sounds cute, but unfortunately I can't see the photos for some reason.

Yes, mice can do a lot better with the taming process when starting out in a smaller tank, a ten gallon is a good size to start. Some mice can never get used to living in a large amount of space, but I've heard many can adapt well if you move them up slowly. If your little guy becomes territorial in the big tank, it might be best to stick to something a little smaller. A 5 inch wheel is too small and can cause back issues, or a condition known as wheel tail. The wheel should be 6.5 inches at least. You can go for a bigger wheel like 7 or 8 inches, though! Mice love a nice 7 or 8 inch mesh wheel.

New mouse owner here with a few questions! Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

New mouse owner here with a few questions! Empty Re: New mouse owner here with a few questions!

Post by mallowolf Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:16 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Welcome to the forum! Your little guy sounds cute, but unfortunately I can't see the photos for some reason.

Yes, mice can do a lot better with the taming process when starting out in a smaller tank, a ten gallon is a good size to start. Some mice can never get used to living in a large amount of space, but I've heard many can adapt well if you move them up slowly. If your little guy becomes territorial in the big tank, it might be best to stick to something a little smaller. A 5 inch wheel is too small and can cause back issues, or a condition known as wheel tail. The wheel should be 6.5 inches at least. You can go for a bigger wheel like 7 or 8 inches, though! Mice love a nice 7 or 8 inch mesh wheel.

I think I fixed the pictures!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely try a 10 gallon tank and see what happens! And here I was thinking I outdid myself with his tank! Pardon I'll also be sure to pick up an appropriately sized wheel and saucer!
mallowolf
mallowolf

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 27 Sep 2017, 6:51 pm

He's adorable!  Congrats on your new son, i hope you love him.  I have a lot of mice, but also keep hamsters, chinchillas and have 2 cats.  With wheels,  the medium sized saucer is great but i think the mesh are my favorite.  Even for my solo boys, i use the 8" mesh wheel, they appreciate the extra room.

most of my boys are in 10g tanks but I've also got a couple in 20g long tanks and that has worked well for me too.

when you say 30g, is that long or tall?  If its tall, meaning less actual floorspace, he might be okay.  But i wouldn't recommend starting a mouse off in anything with a larger footprint than a 20g long tank though.

let us know it you have any more questions.  Welcome to the forum!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mallowolf Wed 27 Sep 2017, 7:00 pm

scaredymouse wrote:He's adorable!  Congrats on your new son, i hope you love him.  I have a lot of mice, but also keep hamsters, chinchillas and have 2 cats.  With wheels,  the medium sized saucer is great but i think the mesh are my favorite.  Even for my solo boys, i use the 8" mesh wheel, they appreciate the extra room.

most of my boys are in 10g tanks but I've also got a couple in 20g long tanks and that has worked well for me too.

when you say 30g, is that long or tall?  If its tall, meaning less actual floorspace, he might be okay.  But i wouldn't recommend starting a mouse off in anything with a larger footprint than a 20g long tank though.

let us know it you have any more questions.  Welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much! I already love the little guy! That's why I want to do what's best for him! Heart Eyes

The tank is a 30 gallon breeder, which is 36" x 18" x 12", so I'm guessing it is way too big for the little guy! I'll head over to one of the pet stores (i'm sure one of them will have have the dollar per gallon sale on tanks) and pick up a 10 gallon and a new wheel for him!
mallowolf
mallowolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 27 Sep 2017, 11:32 pm

Welcome! Your mouse is soooooooo adorable!!!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down