Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bratty alpha taming

3 posters

Go down

Bratty alpha taming Empty Bratty alpha taming

Post by SkywalkerSyd Wed 12 Jul 2017, 4:57 pm

Hey guys! Two of my girlies are fully tamed and I've even tamed them to come to the top of the tank  for treats. But my alpha girl, Mowgli, has always been weary of "the hand", and on the rare occasion where I have had to handle her for safety reasons (her climbing up into the edge of the tank when I open it) she leaps away.

Early on when I wanted to do a bathtub taming session with Mogwai and Mowgli, I had put their temporary wire cage in the bathtub and opened the door for exploring if they're wished. Mowgli climbed out and up onto the top of the cage. I tried to usher her off because I didn't want her to jump out of the tub from the cage top, but she leaped about 12 inches out of the bathtub and onto a nearby wire decoration thingy when "the hand" came towards her.

I knew she was weary of people after this incident but it's been 2 month and she still is jumpy like this. Any advice for taming a mouse that is alpha to the others but is not a fan of people?

She takes treats from my hands and smells my hand but does that nose scrunchy thing lol Mogwai used to do that too but she's now obsessed with me Love

It's clearly her personality so I don't mind that she's behind the others, but my taming techniques have not worked so any advice for taming a bratty girl would be great!
SkywalkerSyd
SkywalkerSyd
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Elated

Back to top Go down

Bratty alpha taming Empty Re: Bratty alpha taming

Post by CallaLily Wed 12 Jul 2017, 6:43 pm

Just time and patience. Keep getting her out of the tank for play time. Things often move faster in a neutral (and safe) play area. I like to use a big bin, others use the bathtub. Since she a jumper, try to make the area as secure as you can - not only the play space but the room it's in. Instead of moving the whole cage you could try transporting her over in a box or tube. Just keep at it. Good luck!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 12 Jul 2017, 7:42 pm

Agree with above! You'll wear her down eventually! Hang in there Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down