Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to spot the alpha?

3 posters

Go down

How to spot the alpha? Empty How to spot the alpha?

Post by Soren Fri 27 May 2016, 9:38 pm

I've always been curious to what the hierarchy in my mouse colonies are. But i can't seem to tell which one is the alpha.
Usagi lives with 4 of her daughters. During the baby days, Usagi was obviously the alpha, being the mom and all, but now that they're all grown up, i can't tell. They don't kick each other off toys, or fight for food.... Are there any other sign of an alpha mouse?

Some of you guys know Usagi is having some health problems, so she may have gotten lowered on the hierarchy since she doesn't have the energy to partake in a lot of the mousie social stuff.

They are all roughly the same size, with Usagi (mom) being the smallest 49grams, and one of her daughters Willow being the largest at 56grams.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

How to spot the alpha? Empty Re: How to spot the alpha?

Post by Upendiparrot Fri 27 May 2016, 11:34 pm

Look for signs like "dominant" (it looks a little forced) grooming, um, humping. If they get along well, that's good. Some scuffles should pop up once they get a little older. There's a lot of girls in your colony, so everyone is pretty balanced out.

Aquarius Stressed

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 27 May 2016, 11:37 pm

My younger girls are peaceful, but Becky is clearly boss. They do it sort of like "follow the leader." Becky is first to check out any changes, eat food, get fresh water... and the other girls follow, or step aside.

Sometimes colonies are so harmonious that it's not really clear who's alpha, though. My cage of older girls is like that, but I suspect it's my Peach. Or Willow?  Don't Know

I once had two alphas in a merged colony bickering at the water bottle... one of the other mice came up and the alphas shooed her away in unison. Laughing
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down