Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others?

2 posters

Go down

(KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others? Empty (KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others?

Post by Illumimoe666 Mon 23 May 2016, 10:40 pm

OK so in nov about 7 months ago I got two mice. A white one named Sol and a black one named Luna. They're tamed now and completely normal pet mice. Today I decided to get another mice, this time she was a fancy mice. When I brought her home I introduced them on neutral territory. They we're fine, they looked at eachother, sniffed eachother and just we're overall fine. When I decided to see how they would react in their tank my white one, Sol, started attacking the new one, while my black one Luna, didn't care at all. Sol has always been the more dominate one, ever since I've had them both (Her and Luna get along completely fine tho). I took them out and put them back on neutral territory, Sol stopped attacking but this made the new one (Marshmallow) very scared. She ran to a corner and stayed there, whenever Luna would go and sniff her she would freak out and squeak, but she would eventually calmed down as she realized Luna wasn't hurting her. Sol would sometimes go and sniff her and, again, she would still squeak but instead of continuing sniffing her sol would back off. I eventually decided to put them in this small plastic tank with food and water. They we're getting along better. But marshmallow was still nervous and scared. Currently her and luna are starting to get along well. but shes very scared of sol. Sol sometimes would sniff her and she would freak out and attack then run to a corner. Sol started to try to intimidate her as well. I put Sol And Luna back in their usual tank.  I'm letting marshmallow sleep in the smaller tank, I have her tank next to me so she wont get lonely. (Btw no blood was ever shed in the fights)
For now im just gonna let Marshmallow sleep in the smaller tank tonight. Any tips? As well as tips to tame a more paranoid mouse? I don't want her to feel too scared and jumpy. But now that she's alone she seems more normal.
Thanks.
*EDIT*
I forgot to mention marshmallow seems to be a very jumpy mouse. Before she was normal but after the fights she got really paranoid. It's gonna be hard to tame her AND make sure she gets alone with the 2 other mice :/
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

http://middyrose.deviantart.com or middyrose.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

(KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others? Empty Re: (KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others?

Post by scaredymouse Mon 23 May 2016, 11:21 pm

New mice should go through a 3 week quarantine period before introducing them to your mice. This is done for two reasons, to make sure they are not pregnant and to give the a chance to acclimate to their new home and for you to have time to tame them. Things never go smooth when you bring home a new mouse and plop her in with your other mice, even if it is on neutral ground. Also, the tank that you put them in should be completely scrubbed clean so that it doesn't smell like the other mice. All the toys should be clean, fresh bedding, and like new, so that it is also at neutral as possible.

It is confusing for them for you to keep changing their surroundings and removing mice and then putting them back. If no blood is drawn, they need to be allow to work thing out. Squeaking, jumping, sniffing, humping are all normal behaviors when females meet. They are working out their hierarchy. I understand it's stressful to watch. I introduced a new female to my group today and it's not going as smooth as I would like it to, but sometimes that's how it goes.

Since you have already separated Marshmallow, if she has not gone through quarantine, you should keep her separate for three weeks and do your best to tame her. Then reintroduce them on neutral ground and then put them all together in a clean tank and let them work it out. No blood, no problem.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

(KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others? Empty Re: (KINDA URGENT) Got a new mice and fighting with others?

Post by Illumimoe666 Mon 23 May 2016, 11:34 pm

scaredymouse wrote:New mice should go through a 3 week quarantine period before introducing them to your mice.  This is done for two reasons, to make sure they are not pregnant and to give the a chance to acclimate to their new home and for you to have time to tame them.  Things never go smooth when you bring home a new mouse and plop her in with your other mice, even if it is on neutral ground.  Also, the tank that you put them in should be completely scrubbed clean so that it doesn't smell like the other mice.  All the toys should be clean, fresh bedding, and like new, so that it is also at neutral as possible.

It is confusing for them for you to keep changing their surroundings and removing mice and then putting them back.  If no blood is drawn, they need to be allow to work thing out.  Squeaking, jumping, sniffing, humping are all normal behaviors when females meet.  They are working out their hierarchy.  I understand it's stressful to watch.  I introduced a new female to my group today and it's not going as smooth as I would like it to, but sometimes that's how it goes.

Since you have already separated Marshmallow, if she has not gone through quarantine, you should keep her separate for three weeks and do your best to tame her.  Then reintroduce them on neutral ground and then put them all together in a clean tank and let them work it out.  No blood, no problem.

This really comforted me! Very helpful! Thank you so much! One more thing, would marshmallow be ok drinking from a bowl? I don't have a extra water bottle but if I really need one I guess I can get one. Just want to make sure Smile
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 23 May 2016, 11:54 pm

She needs a bottle. The problem with a bowl is that it doesn't stay clean and they will almost always toss bedding in it. If it was just for a day, I would say she would be fine but not for three weeks.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 24 May 2016, 12:15 am

scaredymouse wrote:She needs a bottle.  The problem with a bowl is that it doesn't stay clean and they will almost always toss bedding in it.  If it was just for a day, I would say she would be fine but not for three weeks.
Ok thank you!
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 24 May 2016, 1:24 am

I wanted to say that a few days before you introduce them again, swap out the bedding from their nests or switch nest boxes in both tanks. This helps them get used to each others smell before they come face to face. Sometimes this can help things go a little smoother. I imagine it also helps the mice know that something is going on instead of just getting plopped in with some other mice. Surprise, you live with strangers now! Also, don't be surprised if after they sort things out and you have a happy trio... they may still argue from time to time. Also, totally normal.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Illumimoe666 Tue 24 May 2016, 2:20 pm

scaredymouse wrote:I wanted to say that a few days before you introduce them again, swap out the bedding from their nests or switch nest boxes in both tanks.  This helps them get used to each others smell before they come face to face.  Sometimes this can help things go a little smoother.  I imagine it also helps the mice know that something is going on instead of just getting plopped in with some other mice.  Surprise, you live with strangers now!  Also, don't be surprised if after they sort things out and you have a happy trio... they may still argue from time to time.  Also, totally normal.    
I'll definitely try that. Thank you very much!
Illumimoe666
Illumimoe666

Scorpio Spooky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down