Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin's Emergency

+3
scaredymouse
CallaLily
stephlisa
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Colin's Emergency Empty Colin's Emergency

Post by stephlisa Tue 05 Sep 2017, 6:10 am

Colin gave us such a scare this morning. He was lying lifeless in front of one of the cage doors. I reached in and stroked him and he woke up **breathes sigh of relief**

He was limp, lethargic and I brought him out and he started shaking badly. His breathing is awful. He's moving around so slowly and carefully.

We've already been to the vet and are back on Baytril, but have been warned we might have to make the decision to let him go. But there is still hope. What else can I do to make him more comfortable? (Other than all the cuddles and obviously the baytril).

Aquarius Zen
1st Place -- November 2016

http://instagram.com/stephanellimouse

Back to top Go down

Colin's Emergency Empty Re: Colin's Emergency

Post by CallaLily Tue 05 Sep 2017, 8:53 am

Awww poor baby. Is it cooler in your house? If so he might enjoy the benefit of a heat mat set on low and to one side so he can move away if he wanted. A humidifier in the room may be helpful too.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 05 Sep 2017, 9:08 am

Oh no, Colin!   did the vet what they think happened?  My guess would be the usual, heart attack or stroke.  The good news is that sometimes mice recover from things and we get some more quality time.  Of course, sometimes it happens again.

I'm so sorry, i know how much you love him and how important he is to you.  The basic care for just about everything is keep warm and hydrated, and snuggle.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Tue 05 Sep 2017, 10:03 am

The vet wasn't sure what had happened but most likely something caused a big, sudden flair up in his chronic respiratory issues.  But could have been so many things.  She said to keep an eye on him for anything else that is similar.  My poor baby.

He is thankfully still drinking by himself.

I've not got a heat pad, its been on the to buy list so long but other things have always had to come first (like car repairs and such).  I plan to get one shortly though.  Even if it ends up too late for Colin it will be useful for other mice.

When he seems cool I've been making sure he's snuggled close to me to give him body heat warmth.  He likes that.

Thanks for the support, I hope to have better news o the next update...

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mice Are Cute Tue 05 Sep 2017, 2:33 pm

Poor little guy! How is he now?

Remembering: Rainbow Angel ]Blondie, Obi (Hamster), and Grayson  Heart Eyes

Other Pets: Hunter (dog) Kiss
Mice Are Cute
Mice Are Cute
Sr Member
Sr Member

Pisces Inspired

https://thehappymilkshakeblog.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 05 Sep 2017, 9:34 pm

Awww, I hope Colin will be ok. Keeping you and Colin in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted. (((Hugs)))
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Wed 06 Sep 2017, 2:16 am

Well this gets stranger to me.

Last night he just perked right up! Sure he wasn't being quite as fast as usual or as adventurous as usual (can't really expect him to if he can't breathe properly!) but he just seemed to find his spark again. He was like the Colin I know and love just with a standard respiratory infection. I don't know if I'll ever understand it.

Obviously we're still keeping a close watch on him and giving him lots of love and attention but he is definitely perking up.

Does this suggest something like a heart attack or stroke?

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Wed 06 Sep 2017, 9:55 pm

I'm so happy to hear that Colin has perked up! That is great news!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 06 Sep 2017, 10:49 pm

I think it definitely points to something like that.  Sometimes they bounce back miraculously from things like that.

edit to add: the downside however, is that there is the possibility of another stroke or MI. So, love your little man and cherish the time you have together because it's a gift.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Colin's Emergency Empty Colin's Emergency (WARNING: Sensitive topic warning, questions about when to have a mouse put down (euthanized))

Post by stephlisa Thu 07 Sep 2017, 1:59 am

Thanks Scaredy.  That's good to know.  We are somewhat spoiling him with love at the moment - but I think its important to do so now.

He is having moments where its much harder for him to breathe and I can really see it.

At the risk of a sensitive topic (hence the new note in the title), I understand why the vet suggested having him put down now.  But how is it possible to decide?  How do you decide when the bad moments outweigh the good ones?  In short, when do you give up?

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 07 Sep 2017, 5:53 am

It's not an easy choice. I know I've struggled with it before. No one can give you a definite answer. You and your vet have to decide when you think it's time. When you see he's not enjoying life anymore. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer. hugs

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 07 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

it's the hardest decision in the world.  But the truth is you will know when its time.  You'll struggle with the thought of it for what seems like forever, then one moment you will look at him and you're heart will break in two and you'll know in your soul that its time.  There is a difference between being in pain and suffering.  You can see the difference.  I guess maybe not everyone can tell but i know you will be able to because you love him so much.  

there are two schools of thought.... You could let him go before he ever suffers or you could let him live out the rest of his life and then release him when things go bad.  There is no right answer because neither one is wrong.  I always put myself in their paws and think about what they would want.  I always let them enjoy what's left and watch carefully for the moment things change.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Fri 08 Sep 2017, 1:55 am

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll just have to see how it pans out right now.
I'm extra worried because we're going away in a weeks time and we're leaving him with his favourite Auntie Lizzie but its not going to be easy. I almost hope we have to make the decision before then, but we'll see. Maybe the baytril will start kicking in soon.

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 08 Sep 2017, 8:23 pm

I agree with Scaredy, you will know when it's time. It's never ever easy. What I try to do when making these decisions is ask myself if there is still quality of life. And only you can make that decision. This is really when I wish they could speak words and tell us what the want. Sending lots of hugs to you and Colin. Take care.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by stephlisa Sun 10 Sep 2017, 4:00 pm

And to add to the problems my poor baby had a prolapsed penis for a while this evening. He got it back in eventually but he was definitely in some pain while it was out. Back to the vets tomorrow for us.

I'm aware it could be life threatening. Stressed and anxious doesn't begin to describe what is going on in my head right now.

Advice or kind thoughts appreciated...

Aquarius Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum